Online Summer Certificate Programs on International Commercial Arbitration
May 30 - June 16, 2022
This year and as a way to combat zoom fatigue, we offered a special edition of our Online Certificate Programs in International Commercial and Investment Arbitration.
Next year we plan to offer our summer courses in-person in Washington, DC with the option to stay in the American University dormitory at Centennial Hall.
Taught by leading practitioners and arbitrators from throughout the world, the International Commercial Arbitration Specialized Summer Program is a unique and concentrated three-week program that addresses fundamental issues of international commercial arbitration from a theoretical and a practical point of view.
Networking activities such as coffee hours, luncheons, and visits to D.C. law firms provide participants opportunities to meet with faculty experts and practitioners.
The summer program is one of the annual events hosted by the law school’s Center on International Commercial Arbitration. The Center is directed by Horacio A. Grigera Naón, a renowned independent international arbitrator and former secretary general of the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce
The following courses will take place from May 30 to June 16, 2022:
- Introduction to the Practice of International Commercial Arbitration
- Investor-State Arbitration
- Damages & Compensation in International Arbitration
- International Arbitration and Choice-of-Law Issues
- Corruption in International Arbitration
These courses are also offered in Spanish.
To earn a certificate of completion participants must take and pass an exam (24 hour-take home.) Those not wishing to take the exams will receive a certificate of attendance.
The Summer Program is open to:
- Foreign Attorneys for a certificate of completion (Diploma) or attendance.
- U.S. Practitioners for a certificate of completion (Diploma) or attendance.
- WCL & Visiting J.D. and LL.M. candidates for academic credit. Each program is a two-credit ABA course. The Mediation Program is a one-credit ABA course.
WCL J.D. or LL.M. Students who would to take summer courses for academic credit do not require a special application. Please enroll through your my.american.edu account. See Academic Calendar for more information. Visiting students, Visiting JD, and LL.M Students must complete the registration form available here.