Our location in the nation's capital allows the entire city to become an extension of the classroom. An American University Washington College of Law education builds upon the first year doctrinal courses with a wide variety of experiential opportunities as you enter your second year and beyond. And our 8.5 acre campus connects students with hundreds of DC internship and externship opportunities each year. See examples of our government and policy-related programs below.
Turn Your Aspirations into Practice
There is no place for law students quite like the nation’s capital. With government agencies, international organizations, top law firms, and numerous NGOs located within a short metro ride of American University Washington College of Law, opportunities to gain practical experience and to access DC’s greatest legal minds abound.
Top Programs with a DC Focus
Faculty With a DC Impact
This is a law school with tremendous faculty who are both practitioners and top scholars in their fields. They take on some of the latest issues in intellectual property, international law, environmental law, and more. Our professors have connections in Washington, DC, and around the world, and they stand ready to introduce you to their networks and work side by side with students in our specialized programs. Check out a few of our faculty members’ latest activities, congressional testimony, and service outside the classroom.
- Professor Paul Figley Testifies Before House Armed Services Subcommittee
- Professor Diane Orentlicher Participates in Briefing on the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- Professor Jennifer Daskal Testifies Before House Subcommittee on Commerce and Consumer Protection
- Scholarship from Professors Andrew Popper and Lia Epperson Reaches Online, International Audiences
- Professor Jeremi Duru Appointed to NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards