Frequently Asked Questions

Review the following to find answers to frequently asked questions about AUWCL building accessibility, disability accommodations for current students, health and wellness care at AUWCL, working in the legal profession with a disability, and who to go to for help.

Accommodations and Disability Support - FAQ

Which routes to the school are accessible?

The law school has its own parking garage with handicap parking spaces. For information about parking in the law school garage, visit

The law school is right next to stops on the M4, N2, 30S, 30N, 31, 33, 96, H2, H3, and H4 bus lines. Buses are equipped with ramps and wheelchair securement areas to accommodate passengers with disabilities. There is also preferential seating on all buses for passengers with disabilities. Many stops are equipped with buttons that trigger an automated voice listing the estimated arrival times of buses for visually impaired passengers. For full Metrobus accessibility features, visit

The law school is about 0.2 miles from the Tenleytown-AU Metro stop on the Red Line.

The Metro has escalators on the east and west sides of Wisconsin Avenue and an elevator on the east side of Wisconsin Avenue. Each Metro station has a wide, accessible faregate. The faregate by the elevator is also wide. Metro trains contain preferential seating for passengers with disabilities and wheelchair-designated spaces. . Should there be an elevator outage, Metro provides free shuttle service from a neighboring Metro station. To receive notifications about elevator outages and from which stations shuttle service is provided, sign up for ELStat at For more information about Metrorail accessibility for passengers with various disabilities, including low vision and mobility challenges, visit

If you cannot make the walk from the Metro to the law school, you may take the free American University shuttle and request that the driver stop at the law school. You may also take the N2, 30S, 30N, 30N, 31, 33, 96, H2, H3, or H4 bus lines about one stop to their respective Tenley Circle stops.

For the full customer guide for Metrobus and Metrorail passengers with disabilities, visit

Although full-time AUWCL students currently receive a U-Pass, which includes unlimited Metrobus and Metrorail usage during the semester, Metro passengers with disabilities might be eligible for a reduced fare. For more information, please visit

Which routes in and around the school are accessible?

Maps showing accessible routes can be found here.

Who should I contact if there are issues with elevators, automatic doors, or accessible routes?

Please contact Facilities at, in YT05, or at (202) 274-4357.  Copy WCL Disability Support ( on any emails. 

When should I start the process of requesting accommodations?

AUWCL encourages students to document disabilities and request accommodations as early as possible. As outlined below, the process for granting accommodations requires registering with the Academic Support and Access Center (ASAC) on main campus. Once you have been granted accommodations, the WCL Disability Support team will advise you of the timeline for classroom and exam accommodations. 

Who should I contact if I have questions about accommodations at WCL?

Any student, staff, or faculty member who is looking to learn about disability support at WCL is encouraged to contact

For more information about registering for accommodations, visit the ASAC web page at

How do I request accommodations for a permanent disability?

Accommodations for AUWCL students are requested through the American University Academic Support and Access Center (ASAC) on main campus and administered by the WCL Disability Support Team. To receive accommodations, you should: 

  1. Register with ASAC using this website: . You will 1) complete the Student Accommodations Questionnaire, 2) submit documentation of your disability, and 3) meet with the WCL Associate Director for Disability Support. They will assess your request and grant accommodations as appropriate. 
  2. Following the approval process, your accommodations will be implemented by the WCL Disability Support team. 

If you have any questions about this process at all, contact They’re happy to guide you through it! 

How do I request accommodations for a temporary disability? How do the process and requirements differ?

Students seeking accommodations on the basis of a temporary disability must notify the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Students will be required to provide documentation to the ASAC on main campus verifying the nature of the condition, stating the expected duration of the condition, and describing the accommodations deemed necessary.

How do I confirm my accommodations?

  • Exams with Accommodations: Students who are approved and plan to use their disability-related accommodations to take tests at WCL must submit requests using our online form. Please note the following deadlines: 
    • Midterms: Submit at least seven (7) days before the date of an exam 
    • Fall, Spring, & Summer Final Exams: 2 weeks before the official last day of classes in the semester 
  • Alternative Text Materials: Students must submit requests for e-textbooks using our online form. Requests should be made at least three weeks before the semester begins or as soon as possible thereafter so you can begin your coursework on time. Please submit your proof of purchase of each text via the request form.
  • Interpreting/CART/TypeWell
    • For one-time occurrences and WCL events: Please submit a request form. This form is meant for WCL students approved by the ASAC to receive interpreting/CART/TypeWell accommodations. We ask that requests be made a minimum of five full business days in advance of the event date. If you have any questions about interpreting or live captioning, please contact WCL Disability Support at
    • For WCL courses: All WCL students who are formally enrolled in a course should send their course schedules directly to WCL Disability Support at as soon as they have registered. If students make changes to their schedules, it is important to provide notification as soon as possible to ensure your communication needs are met in a timely manner. 

Must I tell my professors about my accommodations?

In general, no. However, certain accommodations might require professor knowledge, such as those involving deadlines or absences. It might also be helpful to explain your disability to your professor in advance so that if an issue arises during the semester, your professor is already aware. The Associate Director for Disability Support can help you determine which course of action is best for you. However, to maintain the anonymity of the examination process, DO NOT discuss any testing accommodations with professors or ask professors questions about testing accommodations. 

If I wish to speak to my professors, what is the best way to do so?

If you have an accommodation that requires professor knowledge, WCL Disability Support may send an email to notify your professors. Otherwise, you may wish to meet with your professors to discuss your disability. WCL Disability Support is happy to help you think through and prepare for these conversations, should you desire. 

Why should I document and disclose my disability?

Although no student is required to disclose a disability, students cannot be accommodated if the school or professors are unaware. Law school can be a stressful and difficult time, which can exacerbate any existing medical concerns. It is much easier to disclose and document your disability when you begin school than to scramble to disclose once issues or obstacles begin to progress. The school can also provide accommodations from the beginning to prevent unnecessary obstacles. If you disclose your disability, WCL Disability Support can help to ensure that you are accommodated in your classes. Additionally, the process for receiving accommodations on the Bar exam will require certification of the accommodations you received in law school. Thus, if you anticipate requiring accommodations for your disability on the Bar exam, you should request accommodations in law school. If you have further questions, please contact WCL Disability Support. 

How do I request accommodations for the MPRE?

Information on applying for accommodations on the MPRE can be found here. Review the five components of an MPRE accommodations request here, and contact WCL Disability Support for assistance certifying your law school accommodations.

How do I request accommodations for the Bar?

Get in touch with the WCL Disability Support team, as early as possible. If you request accommodations on the Bar, the Bar will question WCL to see if you received accommodations during school. The more robust your record, the better the chance you can receive accommodations on the Bar. If you do not receive accommodations at WCL, you are less likely to receive accommodations on the Bar. 

Each Bar has its own process for requesting accommodations. Please visit the website of the Bar you are taking and read instructions carefully. You may contact that Bar for further questions.

Which number should I call in case of an emergency?

If you are on campus and experience a medical emergency, please call Public Safety at 202-885-3636. If you are off campus, please call 911.

How do I request dining hall accommodations if I have food allergy or dietary restrictions?

The dining hall at the American University Washington College of Law can accommodate certain food allergies and dietary restrictions upon request. For more information, please contact Sodexo at You can also ask to speak with a chef about your allergy upon ordering food.

Are epipens available on campus?

Epipens are not widely available across campus, so students with an allergy that require an epipen should have an epipen on them at all times in case of emergency.

Is there a health center on campus?

The student health center is located on the main AU Campus. For more information, visit Additionally, you may call the Nurse Advice Line at 855-678-8679 + Pin 1009, available 24/7.

Does WCL provide counseling or therapy sessions?

Yes. WCL students can receive six to eight free counseling sessions with our campus counselors. Once students have done intake on main campus, they can be placed with WCL's counselor. Students interested in this service should call for a confidential initial consultation with the AU main campus Counseling Center. For more information, please visit 

To set up Confidential Initial Consultations: 

(202) 885-3500 

Visit Mary Graydon Center 214 

Counseling sessions after initial consultation: 

Virtual, by appointment Monday through Friday 

What are the resources WCL provides for survivors of sexual assault?

American University’s Center for Well-Being provides free and confidential victim advocacy services. More information can be found at 

The Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services on AU’s main campus additionally offers counseling, support, and referrals for survivors of sexual violence. They can also make referrals to off-campus counselors who specialize in trauma. 

What are the resources WCL provides for veterans?

Information on veteran benefits can be found at 

For more information and resources about the American University veteran community, visit

What other resources are available to me as a law student?

As a law student in the District of Columbia, you can access the DC Lawyer Assistance Program (LAP) resources. LAP is a "free, confidential program for lawyers, judges, and law students who are experiencing problems, such as addiction, mental health symptoms, or stress, which interfere with their personal or professional lives." For more information, visit

Who are the key staff and resources at the university and law school?

Disability Support: 

Jennifer Baron, Associate Director, Disability Support, 


Student Affairs: 

David Jaffe, Associate Dean, Student Affairs, 

Rachel N. Johnson, Esq., Associate Director,