December Commencement Ceremonies
Due to the ongoing challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic and the move to online instruction for the fall semester, the university made the difficult decision to postpone the make-up ceremonies for May 2020 graduates and Fall Commencement ceremony for August, September, and December 2020 graduates scheduled for this December. American University and Washington College of Law are determined to host in-person ceremonies to celebrate the achievements of all 2020 graduates when health and safety conditions permit. We are unfortunately unable to announce specific dates at this time.
Fall 2020 Commencement Celebration
The Fall 2020 Commencement Celebration for August
Class of 2020 School Celebrations with Individual Graduate Recognition
WCL’s online school commencement celebrations will be held on December 13, 2020 following the university-wide celebration. All 2020 graduates (May, August, and December) will be individually recognized, as we were not able to offer this opportunity in the spring. All eligible graduates and candidates for degree will receive a unique Name Coach registration link from firstname.lastname@example.org. The link allows each graduate to record their name and upload their photo.
Graduates are required to submit their photo and name recording by 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday, November 13. Our partner, NameCoach, will create individual slides featuring the graduate’s diploma name, photo, degree awarded, and a professionally-recorded reading of the graduate’s name. Also note, November 13, 2020 is a firm deadline and will not be extended. If a graduate does not submit a recorded name and photo, NameCoach will use a standard AU-related photo. It will appear with the grad’s name and the name readers will pronounce the name as accurately as they can.
Spring 2020 Commencement Celebration
The achievements of our Spring 2020 graduates were celebrated during an online commencement celebration which aired on Saturday, May 9. Videos from the celebration are available in our archive. Spring 2020 graduates will be invited back to participate in special 2020 ceremonies where they will receive individual recognition as soon as we are able.
Preparing to Graduate
- Apply to graduate on Eagle Service and go to Graduation Overview. Students who anticipate the completion of their degree requirements must submit an application to graduate.
- Register with Name Coach for School Celebrations with Individual Graduate Recognition. All eligible graduates and candidates for degree will receive a unique Name Coach registration link from email@example.com. The link allows each graduate to record their name and upload their photo. Graduates are required to submit their photo and name recording by 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday, November 13.
- Regalia- Information will be available soon regarding regalia rental
- View your transcript on myAU.american.edu. Eligible graduates will receive updates via email this fall.
- Check this website for more updates on plans to celebrate our summer and fall graduates.