Welcome to the Competition!
19th Annual Competition: May 18-23, 2014
The Competition was established to train attorneys on how to use the Inter-American human rights legal system as a legitimate forum for redressing human rights violations.
The Competition requires students to argue the merits of a hypothetical case written on a cutting-edge topic currently being debated within the Inter-American human rights legal system. All student team members must be enrolled in a Juris Doctor (JD) degree program or its international equivalent to participate as a team. The oral round sessions occur in May, in Washington, DC.
In the past 18 years, we have:
- Trained 2400+ student and faculty participants from 252+ universities from 39+ countries on the Inter-American human rights legal system (map)
- Expanded to a trilingual Competition (English, Spanish, Portuguese)
- Created a network of alumni who currently work at local, national and international NGOs, human rights governmental offices, and the Inter-American Court and Commission of Human Rights.
- Involved private attorneys, human rights practitioners, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights attorneys and diplomatic corps members as volunteer judges
- Increased yearly participation of teams and countries represented
- Inspired law schools to create courses and clinics based on the Inter-American system
Inter-American Moot Court Competition current and past participants, coaches, and judges are eligible to apply for the Inter American Moot Court Scholarship to pursue the LLM program at the Washington College of Law. The award will grant one full tuition scholarship annually. The deadline to submit the application is April 2014.
Please note: The prices for the 2014 Competition have changed effective November 1, 2013. Please disregard the prices listed in the 2014 brochure. Prices for the Competition were not changed over the course of the last half decade, but were recently adjusted to cover the increasing cost of the Competition. If you have any questions please contact the Competition Coordinator at email@example.com.The prices are:
- Team with 1 coach: $600
- Team with 2 coaches: $800
- Observer: $250
To Contact Us:
Inter-American Human Rights Moot Court Competition
American University Washington College of Law
4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016