Sample Interview Questions & Topics
The below lists consist of common questions and subjects that are covered during interviews for jobs and internships. Use these lists only as a reference to prepare for interviews, and be aware that interviewers may ask very different questions.
- What qualities do you believe will make you a successful lawyer?
- How would you describe the ideal summer job?
- Tell me about your participation on the journal/in your clinical program. Describe your thesis/research project/note further. (Listen for analytical skills, interest in writing, etc.)
- What skills have you developed as a result of your experience?
- What goals have you set for yourself? How are you planning to achieve them?
- Tell me how your supervisor from your summer internship would describe you.
- What was the most useful criticism you ever received, and who was it from?
- Describe the project or situation that best demonstrated your analytical skills.
- Tell me about an idea you have developed and implemented that was particularly creative or innovative?
- Why did you choose the extracurricular activities you did? What did you gain? What did you contribute?
- What specialization of law are you interested in?
- What is your working experience?
- What did you do in your legal internship?
- Family background
- GPA in undergraduate school and graduate school
- Tell me about yourself.
- Tell me about your professional goals.
- Tell me about your experience as a lawyer.
- What interests you in this law firm/organization?
- Tell me about your ties to this geographic area.
- What do you want to know about our law firm?
- What was your favorite course during law school/undergraduate?
"Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams" by Kimm Walton
| Tough Interview Questions:
||Questions that Show Off Your Preparation for the Interview:|
"The Essential Book of Interviewing" by Arnold Kanter
|Difficult Interview Questions:||Good Questions for Interviewers to Ask About Previous Job Experience:||Questions an Interviewee Should Consider Asking:|
Peeking Into the Interviewer's Mind
|Question #1: Do you have the skills and background to do the job? (This most fundamental question will be asked of you in a variety of ways including:)||Question 2: Are you willing to do the job? (You will need to explain how the job fits into your overall career plans and how will continue to grow with and within in the organizations.)||Question 3: Will you fit into the firm's organizations culture? (The answer to this question is often interpreted by the interviewer based on instinct as well as either a conscious or subconscious effort to determine how your personality may or may not gel with management, various personalities in the workplace, the firm's culture and the pace of the office.)|
- General questions? CareerLink technical support? Have trouble finding or viewing a page on this site? Please email email@example.com
Office of Career & Professional Development • American University Washington College of Law
4300 Nebraska Ave NW, Suite C115 Washington, DC 20016 • 202-274-4090 F: 202-274-4096