Spring 2020 Externship Fair Connects AUWCL Students with Externship Opportunities
Jan. 24, 2020
On Thursday, Jan. 23, American University Washington College of Law hosted its annual Spring Externship Fair. The law school’s Externship Program organized over 160 employers into Claudio Grossman Hall for the event, which has routinely been the largest legal externship fair in the nation and attracts students from all levels. The Externship Fair also attracts former students -- this year, AUWCL alumni represented 50 employers.
Employers from both the public and private sector spanned across multiple field areas such as civil rights, corporate counsel, intellectual property, criminal justice, health, immigration and more. While primarily focused on externship placements, the fair provides an expansive networking opportunity that students use to secure externships, internships, and even fellowships upon graduation.
Organizations in attendance included:
- AEquitas: The Prosecutors' Resource on Violence Against Women
- Federal Aviation Administration Office of the Chief Counsel
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- National Public Radio, Inc. Office of the General Counsel
- Nature Conservancy Worldwide Office Latin America & Caribbean Legal Department
- Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights International Strategic Litigation Unit
- United States Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security Administration
- United States Office of Special Counsel Federal Whistleblower Protection
AUWCL’s Externship Program gives students the opportunity to gain legal knowledge and learn through first-hand experience with their feet on the ground in the places they aspire to work in after graduation. The program serves over 350 students and places students at government agencies, law firms, and non-governmental organization all over Washington, DC. To learn more, visit wcl.american.edu/academics/experientialedu/externships/.