International Organizations, Law and Diplomacy
Summer Program in Washington and Geneva
Washington, DC: May 26 - June 19, 2015
Geneva, Switzerland: June 29 - July 17, 2015
Welcome and Introduction:
The Program on International Organizations, Law and Diplomacy (PIOLD) is designed to foreground the challenges that lawyers face in working for public, private, and nongovernmental clients in international organizations including the World Bank Group (WB), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to the United States of America, and the Organization of American States (OAS) in Washington, DC. PIOLD offers the same cutting edge training for lawyers interested in practicing in the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Word Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies in Geneva, Switzerland. These new challenges beg for creative lawyering that can address new institutional solutions through heterodox strategies. PIOLD provides legal and soft skills for lawyers who need to navigate the changing architecture of global governance in a multicultural environment.
- PLEASE NOTE: THE GENEVA PROGRAM IS NEARLY AT FULL CAPACITY. New applicants will be on a waitlist - if there is not space available, then the $100 application fee will be transferred to use in another WCL study abroad program.
There are still places available in our Washington courses.
- Upcoming PIOLD Speaker Series Events:
Click on the flyers for additional information and click here to register (free of charge).
Tuesday, March 3, 5:00-6:30pm: SOVEREIGN DEBT RESTRUCTURING: GLOBAL IMPLICATIONS AND SYSTEMIC SOLUTIONS with Cecilia Nahón, Ambassador of Argentina and Sean Hagan, IMF General Counsel
Tuesday, April 21, 5:00-6:30pm: THE EVOLVING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LAW AND DEVELOPMENT: RETHINKING TOOLS with Dean Helena Alviar of the University of Los Andes, Bogota, Colombia
POSTPONED UNTIL THE FALL: LABOR RIGHTS AND FOREIGN POLICY: THE ROLE OF THE ILO with Carol Pier, Deputy Undersecretary for International Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor and Kari Tapiola, Special Adviser to the Director-General of the ILO
- Click here for the webcast video from the 1/14 Information Session on Summer 2015 PIOLD in Washington and Geneva - held jointly with the Human Rights Academy
(Click here for the webcast video from the November 5th info session)
- Applications are now being accepted for the summer 2015 Program on International Organizations, Law and Diplomacy in Washington and Geneva! See details on the courses, professors, fees, and logistics in Washington and Geneva
- "Students Work with the World Bank on Law, Justice and Development Week 2014" AUWCL News Feature Story on PIOLD Collaboration with the World Bank and the ABA International Law Section
Click here for LJD Week Blog by AUWCL student participants
An ABA-approved program