Class audits are open to individuals who have earned a degree from the American University Washington College of Law. Alumni may audit no more than two classes per semester at AUWCL. Registration and processing fees are $150 per class. Alumni must apply to register through the Office of Development and Alumni Relations Audit Page and receive approval by the registrar's office in order to attend a class. Though professor support is appreciated, alumni cannot attend a class based solely on Faculty endorsement. Law school alumni are also eligible to audit courses at other American University schools.
All open law school classes are available to alumni with the following exceptions:
- Required First Year Classes
- Classes that are full on the last day of late registration
- Clinic Classes
- Legal Writing Methods Classes
- All Pre-Trial Litigation Courses (LAW-649)
- Lawyer Bargaining (LAW-651)
- All Trial Advocacy Courses (LAW-694 and -695)
- Plea Bargaining (Currently LAW-08B)
- Appellate Advocacy (LAW-847)
- Scientific Evidence (LAW-878-001)
- High Tech Courtroom (LAW-913-001)
- Ethics for Trial Lawyers (LAW-915)
- EFO (LAW-968)
- Advanced Trial Advocacy (LAW-984)
- Litigation in the Digital Age: eDiscovery (LAW-994)
- All Summer Law Programs in Washington, D.C. (these courses are indentified under "Type" in the coure listing) including: Summer Academy in Human Rights and/or Arbitration; Litigration Skills Summer Institute (any courses in the institute)
- Possible additions each semester. Please check with the Office of Development and Alumni Relations
If you wish to audit a class, simply click on the registration link and pay the $150 fee by credit card. If you graduated within the past six months, please indicate this on your registration form.
The registration link will open in early August for the fall semester, in early January for the spring semester, and in early May for summer classes. The last day to register to audit a class is the last day of add/drop for students, usually one week into a new semester.
The Registrar approves or denies class audits based on 1) availability following the last day of the student add/drop period and 2) approval from the instructor. If the class you requested to audit fills during the student add/drop period or if the instructor does not approve, you can receive a refund in 3-5 business days or you may choose an alternative (open) class. The Office of Development and Alumni Relations will notify you via email of your approval or denial upon notice from the Registrar.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-274-4050.
NOTE: Classes offered to alumni on an audit basis are solely for the personal benefit of the registered graduate. No credit is given for courses taken through this program, and courses will not appear on transcripts. In addition, a student/alumnus cannot take classes for credit (as a registered student) and audit classes during the same semester. Since we are unable to verify attendance or performance, we cannot provide a letter or certificate as proof of successful class completion.
AUWCL Alumni Application to Audit Law School Courses:
- Online Form (credit card payment)