Julie Swaney recently started her own law firm, Law Office of Julie Swaney, focusing on adult criminal and juvenile defense. She represents indigent juvenile clients charged with crimes as a member of the Juvenile Delinquency Panel for the Family Court division of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. She also represents indigent adult clients during their initial hearings to determine pretrial release in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland. Additionally, Ms. Swaney works on a pro bono basis with the Clemency Project 2014 to assist current federal inmates in applying to President Obama for clemency.
Previously, Ms. Swaney was the Director of Youth Advocacy for Mentoring Today (now Open City Advocates) where she advocated for and worked with youth re-entering the community after being securely detained in DC’s juvenile justice system, the DC Jail, and the federal Bureau of Prisons. She also coordinated and supervised the FREE Project, a youth empowerment program which advocated at the federal and local levels for systemic changes to be made in the juvenile justice system.
Ms. Swaney graduated cum laude from WCL in 2011 where she was Managing Editor of the International Law Review, Selection Chair for the Equal Justice Foundation, and President of the Criminal Law Society. Prior to law school, she served for eight years as Director of Public Policy & Operations for the National Foundation for Women Legislators, a non-partisan organization promoting women’s political leadership.
- LAW-754-007 Externship: Advocacy (LLM Only) (Spring)
- LAW-754-007 Advocacy Externship (Advocacy LLM Only) (Summer)
- LAW-754-007 ADVY Externship (Fall)
- LAW-754-009 Externship: Law & Government (LLM Only) (Spring)
- LAW-754-009 Law and Government Externship (Law & Government LLM Only) (Summer)
- LAW-754-009 LAWG Externship (Fall)
Degrees & Universities
- B.A., The George Washington University (cum laude)
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law (cum laude)