Professor of Law
Director, Business Law Programs
Office: Room Y218
David V. Snyder was appointed professor of law at the American University Washington College of Law in the fall of 2007 and was appointed director of the Business Law Program in 2008. He graduated summa cum laude from Tulane University Law School in 1991, and he has been a professor of law at Tulane, Indiana (Bloomington), and Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He has been a visiting professor at the law schools of the University of Paris II (Panthéon-Assas), the University of Paris 10 (Nanterre La Défense), Boston University, and the College of William and Mary, and has also taught summer courses at the University of Mainz (Germany). After graduating from law school, Professor Snyder served as a law clerk to the Honorable John M. Duhé Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and subsequently joined the D.C. firm of Hogan & Hartson (now Hogan Lovells). In 2014 Professor Snyder was awarded a MacCormick Fellowship during which he delivered the annual Wilson Memorial Lecture at the University of Edinburgh.
Professor Snyder’s teaching and research interests are primarily in contracts and commercial law, including their international and comparative aspects. He was chair of the Section on Contracts of the Association of American Law Schools (2005-2006) and chaired the Washington steering committee for the XVIIIth International Congress of Comparative Law (2010). He is an elected member of the American Law Institute and the International Academy of Comparative Law and has served on the board of directors of the Washington Foreign Law Society and board of editors of the American Journal of Comparative Law.
Areas of Specialization
- International Business Law
- Commercial and Related Consumer Law
- Comparative Law
- Secured Transactions
- International Commercial Arbitation
- Legal History
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Tulane Law School 1991
- B.A., Yale University 1988
- David Snyder & Martin Davies, International Transactions in Goods: Global Sales in Comparative Context (Oxford U. Press 2014).
- David Snyder, General Reports of the XVIIIth Congress of the International Academy of Comparative Law/Rapports Généraux du XVIIIème Congrès de l’Académie Internationale de Droit Comparé General Reports of the XVIIIth Congress of the International Academy of Comparative Law/Rapports Généraux du XVIIIème Congrès de l’Académie Internationale de Droit Comparé (David Snyder & Karen Brown eds., Springer-Verlag 2012).
- David Snyder & Randy Barnett, Chapter 13, Conditions, and Chapter 14, Breach, in Contracts: Cases & Doctrine, 857-948 (4th ed., Aspen L. & Bus. 2012).
- David Snyder with co-authors, Comparative Law: Problems and Prospects, 26 Am. U. Intl. L. Rev. 935 (2011).
- David Snyder, Hunting Promissory Estoppel, in Mixed Jurisdictions Compared: Private Law in Louisiana and Scotland, 281-321 (Palmer & Reid, eds., Edinburgh U. Press 2009). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Contract Regulation, With and Without the State, 56 Am. J. Comp. L. 723 (2008) (reprinted in Beyond the State: Rethinking Private Law, Jansen & Michaels, eds., Mohr Siebeck, 2008). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Go Out and Look: The Challenge and Promise of Empirical Scholarship in Contract Law, 80 Tul. L. Rev. 1009 (2006). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Private Lawmaking, 64 Ohio St. L.J. 371 (2003) (reprinted in and translated in part into Mandarin Chinese, 6 J. Shandong U. 1 (Jiang Shi-bo trans., 2006), and translated in full Mandarin Chinese, 6 Folk Law 537 (Jiang Shi-bo trans., 2007). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Molecular Federalism and the Structures of Private Lawmaking, 14 Ind. J. Global Leg. Stud. 419 (2007). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Closing the Deal in Contracts: Introducing Transactional Skills in the First Year, 34 U. Toledo L. Rev. 689 (2003).
- David Snyder, Language and Formalities in Commercial Contracts: A Defense of Custom and Conduct, 54 S.M.U. L. Rev. 617 (2001). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Roman Law After the Fall of Rome (Reviewing Roman Law in European History by Peter Stein), in H-Net Reviews in the Humanities and Social Sciences (H-Law 10-25-1999).
- David Snyder, The Law of Contract and the Concept of Change: Public and Private Attempts to Regulate Modification, Waiver, and Estoppel, 1999 Wis. L. Rev. 607 (1999). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, Comparative Law in Action: Promissory Estoppel, the Civil Law, and the Mixed Jurisdiction, 15 Ariz. J. Intl. & Comp. L. 695 (1998) (reprinted in Louisiana: Microcosm of a Mixed Jurisdiction (Vernon V. Palmer ed., Carolina Academic Press 1999)). SSRN Link
- David Snyder, The Case of Natural Obligations, 56 La. L. Rev. 423 (1995).
- David Snyder, Ancient Law and Modern Eyes, 69 Tul. L. Rev. 1631 (1995).
- David Snyder, Possession: A Brief for Louisiana’s Rights of Succession to the Legacy of Roman Law, 66 Tul. L. Rev. 1853 (1992).
- David Snyder, Recent Development, Coliseum Square Association v. City of New Orleans: Streets for Rent, or Public Things and the Doctrine of Inalienability, 64 Tul. L. Rev. 1280 (1990).
- David Snyder, Comment, Disclosure of Medical Information Under Louisiana and Federal Law, 65 Tul. L. Rev. 169 (1990).
Selected Works in Progress
- David Snyder, Toward a Functional and Transnational Theory of Specific Performance, (forthcoming).
- David Snyder, Metamorphoses in the Law of Contract: Mythological Lectures, (forthcoming).
- David Snyder, The New Social Contracts, (examining international contracts providing for human rights protections in the production of goods) (forthcoming).