Professor of Law
Office: Room 464
Mary Siegel is professor of law, specializing in Business Law and teaches Business Associations, Securities Regulation, Advanced Securities Law and Advanced Corporate Law. Professor Siegel is one of 24 corporate lawyers invited to join the ABA Committee on Corporate Laws, which writes the Model Business Corporation Act. She is also an invited member to the Executive Council of the Securities Law Committee of the Federal Bar Association. She is the author of many articles on business law, appearing in several journals including the Columbia Law Review, the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Harvard Journal on Legislation, the Hastings Law Journal, and the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law. Professor Siegel received WCL’s award for Outstanding Scholarship, Research and Other Professional Contributions in 1980; WCL’s Outstanding Teacher-Scholar Award in 1986; AU’s Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholarship Research and Other Professional Contributions in 1986; and has twice won the WCL Scholar Award (1995 and 2004).
Areas of Specialization
- Business Associations / Corporations
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Yale Law School 1975
- B.A., Vassar College 1972
- Mary Siegel, The Dangers of Equitable Remedies, 15 Stan. J.L. Bus. & Fin. __ (2009).
- Mary Siegel, Going Private: Three Doctrines Gone Astray, 4 N.Y.U.J.L. & Bus. 399 (2008).
- Mary Siegel, Back to the Future: Appraisal Rights in the Twenty-First Century, 32 Harv. J. on Legis. 79 (1995).
- Mary Siegel, ed., Corporate Director's Guidebook: Committee on Corporate Laws (5th ed., ABA Section of Business Law 2007).
- Mary Siegel, Fiduciary Duty Myths in Close Coporate Law, 29 Del. J. Corp. L. 377 (2004). SSRN Link
- Mary Siegel, The Erosion of the Law of Controlling Shareholders, 24 Del. J. Corp. L. 27 (1999) (reprinted in 41 Corp. Prac. Commentator 1031 (2000)).
- Mary Siegel, ed., Changes in Model Business Corporation Act-Amendments Pertaining to Derivative Proceedings, 44 Bus. Law. 543 (1998).
- Mary Siegel, ed., Proposed Changes in the Model Business Corporation Act-Appraisal Rights, 54 Bus. Law. 209 (1998).
- Mary Siegel, Book Review of Block, Barton and Radin, "The Business Judgement Rule", 49 Bus. Law. 1997 (1994).
- Mary Siegel et al., Changes in the Revised Model Business Corporation Act-Amendments Pertaining to the Liability of Directors, 45 Bus. Law. 695 (1990).
- Mary Siegel et al., Guidelines for the Unaffiliated Director of the Controlled Corporation, 44 Bus. Law. 211 (1988).
- Mary Siegel & Jennifer Johnson, Corporate Mergers: Redefining The Role of Target Directors, 136 U. Pa. L. Rev. 315 (1987).
- Mary Siegel, Tender Offer Defensive Tactics, WCL Advoc. (Fall 1986).
- Mary Siegel, Tender Offer Defensive Tactics: A Proposal For Reform, 36 Hastings L.J. 377 (1985) (reprinted in 28 Corp. Practice Commentator 45 1986).
- Mary Siegel, Sale of Control, 20 Real Prop., Prob. & Trust J. 506 (1985).
- Mary Siegel, The Legal Highlights of the Bendix-Martin Marietta Takeover, WCL Advoc. (Spring 1983).
- Mary Siegel, Significant Recent Developments in the Express and Implied Private Actions Ural Securities Lawsnder Fede, 2 Fourtheenth Annual Inst. Sec.Reg. 633 (1982) (reprinted in PLI Coursebook, outline).
- Mary Siegel, The Interplay Between the Implied Remedy Under Section 10(b) and the Express Causes of Action of the Federal Securites Laws, 62 B.U. L. Rev. 385 (1982).
- Mary Siegel, ed., Problems of Fiduciaries Under the Federal Securites Laws, 20 Real Prop., Prob. & Trust J. 506 (1982).
- Mary Siegel, Aaron v. SEC, in Preview of US Supreme Court Cases, 2 (Am. B. Assn. Apr. 2, 1980).
- Mary Siegel, The Implication Doctrine and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, 79 Colum. L. Rev. 1085 (1979).