Professor of Law
Director, Immigrant Justice Clinic
Office: Room Y221
Jayesh Rathod is a Professor of Law at American University Washington College of Law, and founding Director of the law school’s Immigrant Justice Clinic. His areas of expertise and scholarly interests include immigration law, labor and employment law, occupational safety and health, and clinical legal education. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a Staff Attorney at CASA of Maryland, representing low-wage immigrant workers on employment law and immigration matters, and participating in worker education, organizing, and advocacy efforts. He also practiced in the litigation section at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering LLP, and was law clerk to the Honorable Louis F. Oberdorfer, of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. He is a graduate of Columbia Law School and Harvard College.
Professor Rathod has been recognized for his innovative teaching, including the use of technology and the promotion of bilingual education within U.S. law schools. His scholarship, covering a range of topics relating to immigration law, labor & employment law, and legal pedagogy, has been featured in a variety of prominent journals. Professor Rathod has been invited to speak on these topics at institutions across the United States, and has served as a commentator in local and national media (including CNN, NBC News, and National Public Radio) on immigration and workplace law topics.
Over the course of his career, Professor Rathod has worked with numerous non-governmental organizations to advance the civil and human rights of communities in the United States and abroad. He currently serves on the Council of Advisors of South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT).
Areas of Specialization
- Clinical Legal Education
- Immigration Law
- Labor Relations and Employment Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law 2001
- A.B, Harvard University 1997
- Jayesh Rathod, Riding the Wave: Uplifting Labor Organizations through Immigration Reform, 4 U. Cal. Irvine L. Rev. 625 (2014). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Distilling Americans: The Legacy of Prohibition on U.S. Immigration Law, 51 Hous. L. Rev. 781 (2014).
- Jayesh Rathod, The Transformative Potential of Attorney Bilingualism, 46 U. Mich. J.L. Reform (forthcoming 2013). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Immigrant Entrepreneurs, in Community Economic Development Law: A Text for Engaged Learning (Carolina Academic Press 2012). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Protecting Immigrant Workers Through Interagency Cooperation, 53 Ariz. L. Rev. 1157 (2012). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, A Season of Change: Reforming the H-2B Guest Worker Program, 45 Clearinghouse Rev. 20 (May-June 2011). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Beyond the “Chilling Effect”: Immigrant Worker Behavior and the Regulation of Occupational Safety & Health, 14 Employee Rights & Empl. Policy J. 267 (2010). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Immigrant Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Regime: A New Vision for Workplace Regulation, 33 N.Y.U. Rev. L. & Soc. Change 479 (2009). SSRN Link
- Amanda Frost & Jayesh Rathod, Natural(ized) Enemies, Slate (Jan. 17, 2013).
- Jayesh Rathod, Book Review: Beate Andrees & Patrick Belser, Forced Labor: Coercion & Exploitation in the Private Economy, 31 Comp. Lab. L. & Policy J. 861 (2010). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, The A.F.L.-C.I.O. – NDLON Agreement: Five Proposals for Advancing the Partnership, 14 No. 3 Hum. Rights Br. 8 (2007). SSRN Link