Professor of Law
Office: Room 390
Fernanda G. Nicola is Professor of Law at the Washington College of Law, American University. Her teaching and research interests range from Tort Law, Comparative Law, European Union Law and Local Government Law. She received her PhD from Trento University and her SJD degree from Harvard Law School where she was the recipient of the Mancini Prize in European Law, and the Justice Welfare and Economics fellowship at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs. Professor Nicola is the author of several articles on European integration including Invisible Cities in EU Law (2012) and Transatlanticisms: The Selective Reception of U.S. Law and Economics in the Formation of European Private Law (2008). She recently published Family Law Exceptionalism in Comparative Law (2010) and Intimate Liability: Emotional Harm, Family Law, and Stereotyped Narratives in Interspousal Torts (2013). Professor Nicola is a member of the American Society of Comparative Law (ASCL) Executive Board, she supervises PhD candidates at the European University Institute (Florence) and she is a fellow at the CDCT (Turin, Italy).
Areas of Specialization
- Comparative Law
- European Union Law
- Law and Development
- Local Government Law
- Torts and Compensation Systems
Degrees & Universities
- S.J.D., Harvard Law School 2009 (S.J.D.)
- Ph.D., Trento University, Italy 2006
- LL.M., Harvard Law School 2002
- Law Degree, University of Turin 2000 (Laurea in Legge (Law Degree))
- B.A., University of Turin 1996 (Laurea in Scienze Politiche)
- Fernanda Nicola, Introduction: Critical Legal Histories in EU Law, 28 Am. U. Intl. L. Rev. 1173 (2013). SSRN Link
- Fernanda Nicola, Intimate Liability: Tort Law, Family Law and the Stereotyped Narratives of Interspousal Torts, 19 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 445 (2013). SSRN Link
- Fernanda Nicola, Invisible Cities in Europe, 35 Fordham Intl. L.J. 1282 (2012).
- Fernanda Nicola, Creatures of the State’: Regulatory Federalism, Local Immunities, and EU Waste Regulation in Comparative Perspective, in Comparative Administrative Law (Susan Rose-Ackerman & Peter Lindseth, eds., Elgar Publg. 2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, Family Law Exceptionalism in Comparative Law, 58 Am. J. Comp. L. 777 (2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, The False Promise of Decentralization in EU Cohesion Policy, 20 Tul. J. Intl. & Comp. L. 65 (2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, Promises of Accession: The Asymmetrical Trade Relationship between Turkey and the EU, 24 Am. U. Intl. L. Rev. 739 (2009). SSRN Link
- Fernanda Nicola, Transatlanticisms: Constitutional Asymmetry and Selective Reception of U.S. Law and Economics in the Formation of European Private Law, 16 Cardozo J. Intl. & Comp. L. 101 (2008).
- Fernanda Nicola, Book Review: The Nemesis of European Constitutionalism: Peter Lindseth’s Power and Legitimacy, Opinio Juris (Apr. 25, 2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, Book Review: Steven Weatherill, European Consumer Law and Policy, Oxford Y.B. European L. (Spring 2008).
- Fernanda Nicola & Ingrid Nifosi-Sutton, Beyond Monetary Damages: Assessing New Trends before the European Court of Human Rights and the European Court of Justice, Hum. Rights Br. (Winter 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Reparations: A Comparative Perspective, 56 Am. U. L. Rev. 1377 (2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Per Una Nuova Prospettiva sull’Integrazione Europea: I Profili Distributive dell’Armonizzazione, Rivista Critica del Diritto Privato (Nov. 2006).
- Fernanda Nicola & Ugo Mattei, A ‘Social Dimension’ in European Private Law? The Call for Setting a Progressive Agenda, 41 New Eng. L. Rev. 1 (2006). SSRN Link
- Fernanda Nicola & Fabio Marchetti, Constitutionalizing Tobacco: The Ambiguous Shift in European Federalism, 46 Harv. Intl. L.J. 507 (2005). SSRN Link
- Fernanda Nicola & Anna di Robilant, Book Review: Left Legalism/Left Critique (W. Brown and J. Halley, eds., 2002) Il Liberalismo alle prese con identitá e redistribuzione: Le critiche al rights discourse da parte della sinistra Americana, Rivista Critica del Diritto Privato (Dec. 2004).
- Fernanda Nicola, Book Review: James Gordley, ed., The Enforceability of Promises in European Contract Law, 44 Harv. Intl. L.J. 597 (2003).
Selected Works in Progress
- Fernanda Nicola, What’s the Matter with the EU going Local? Reassessing Third Level Europe, Tul. J. Intl. & Comp. L. (forthcoming).
- Fernanda Nicola, Liability in the Bedroom: Common Law Torts and Civil Law Crimes, (forthcoming 2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, What’s Love Got to Do with It? Stereotypical Women in Dispositionist Torts, in deology, Psychology and the Law (Jon Hanson, ed., OUP Dec. 2011).
- Fernanda Nicola, Paper Presentation, Comparisons Within: Local Government, Spaces and Distribution in European Union Law ("Lightning Rounds,” Faculty Speaker Series of the American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., Sept. 18, 2008).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, Comparative Local Government: Spaces and Distribution in EU law (Georgetown Law Center, Faculty Speaker Series, Wash., D.C., Apr. 17, 2008).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, The Rise and Fall of the European Civil Code (Conference Organized by the Center for North American Studies (AU) on “A North American Legal System: It is Possible? Desirable?," American University Washington College of Law, Feb. 16, 2008).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, The Genealogy and the Influence of The Access to Justice Literature in Europe and the United States (Global Conceptions on Access to Justice, Section on Comparative Law, AALS Conference, N.Y.C., N.Y., Jan. 4, 2008).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, La Armonizacion del Mercado Unico: Tensiones Federales y Sociales en el Modelo Europeo (El Consejo Nacional de la Judicatura and El Programa de Apoyo a la Integracion Regional Centroamericana (PAIRCA), El. Sal., Nov,. 21, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Lecture, El Derecho de La Integracion Europea (El Consejo Nacional de la Judicatura and El Programa de Apoyo a la Integracion Regional Centroamericana (PAIRCA), El. Sal., Nov. 19 - 22, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Speech, Where is Comparative family law? From Exceptionalism to Critical Approaches (Conference on Up Against Family Law Exceptionalism, Harvard Law School and Toronto Law School, Cambridge, Mass., Sept. 15, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Speech, Comparisons Within: European Local Government Law (Conference on Global Law in Comparative Perspective, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., June 16 - 27, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Speech, Final Remarks in a Comparative Perspective (Interschool Junior Faculty Workshop on Poverty Law, American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., June 1, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, , Methodologies in Comparative Family Law (Conference on Comparative Family Law, American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., Apr. 15, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, European Consumer Protection: Challenges and Possibilities (Conference on The European Union, a Model for the U.S.? Assessing fifty Years of the Treaty of Rome (1957-2007), American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., Mar. 28, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, European Consumer Protection: Market or Social Citizenship for European Integration? (Rethinking Ideology & Strategy: Progressive Lawyering, Globalization and Markets, Northeastern University, Bos., Mass., Jan. 26, 2007).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, The City as a Legal Concept in EU law (Law and Society Conference, Balt., Md., July 2006).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, The Reception of Law and Economics in European Adjudication (Harvard International Law Journal Conference, Cambridge, Mass., Mar. 2006).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, Socialization of the Market or Marketization of the Social? The Role of Private Law in European Integration (International PhD in Law and Economics, University of Turin, Torino, Italy, Oct. 27, 2005).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, Anti-Formalism in the Legal Scholarship of Rodolfo Sacco (The Relationship between the Modes of Legal Rationality and Contexts of Production of Legal Discourse, ELRC, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., Apr. 20, 2005).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, Rethinking the Role of Legal Scholarship in the Harmonization of European Private Law (Comparative Visions of Global Public Order, Hosted by the Harvard International Law Journal, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., Mar. 5 - 6, 2005).
- Fernanda Nicola, Presentation, Multilevel Governance Alliances in European Contract Law (New World Legal Orders Conference: New Approaches Meet New Worlds of law, Toronto Law School, Toronto, Can., Feb. 17, 2004).