Andrea Lee Negroni
Andrea “Lee” Negroni is a mortgage regulatory, consumer finance and real estate attorney, author of four successful books on mortgage finance, and author of the Lexis/Nexis Online Real Estate Law Community column, Real Cases in Real Estate. She is Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at American University’s Washington College of Law, where she teaches Consumer Financial Services Law. Lee worked in housing finance, mortgage compliance, internet lending and consumer financial privacy law for 30+ years, at law firms, a national mortgage company and a real estate asset disposition company. She was founding partner of Negroni & Kromer, PLLC, a consumer financial services boutique law firm, and later, Partner of Goodwin Procter. Lee was Of Counsel and a professional development mentor and adviser at BuckleySandler from 2008 to 2015, when she retired from private law practice. She is a regular contributor to the compliance blog of the Portland, Oregon-based financial technology company Smarsh, and a Smarsh webinar host and presenter.
Lee is a Key Author for Thomson Reuters/West Publishing and has been on the Thomson-West Compliance Advisory Board since 2007. She is on the Board of Expert Contributors as a Mortgage Lending Expert for the legal seminar producer Sheshunoff/A.S. Pratt.
Lee Negroni’s books include Residential Mortgage Lending: State Regulation Manual , published by Thomson Reuters, Pratt’s State Regulation of Second Mortgages and Home Equity Loans , published by A.S. Pratt/Sheshunoff/Thomson Media Group, and Introduction to Mortgage Lending, Second and Third Editions, published by the American Bankers Association. Her dozens of published articles on consumer credit and related subjects have appeared in professional publications including Mortgage Banking,The National Mortgage Broker, The Banking Law Journal, Scotsmans Guide, Servicing Management, and National Mortgage News. Her work has been frequently cited, in articles and research studies such as “Get Sick, Get Out: The Medical Causes of Home Mortgage Foreclosures,” Health Matrix: Journal of Law and Medicine, Vol. 18. No 65, 2008; “Mortgage Bankers and Mortgage Brokers: Distinct Businesses Warranting Distinct Regulation,” Mortgage Bankers Association, 2008; “Mortgage Applications with Missing Race Data and the Implications for Monitoring Fair Lending Compliance,” Journal of Housing Research, Vol. 13, Issue 1, Fannie Mae Foundation, 2002, and “Can New Americans Achieve the American Dream? Promoting Homeownership in Immigrant Communities,” Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2004.
Lee has spoken at meetings and conferences of the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA), American Conference Institute (ACI), Practicing Law Institute (PLI), Executive Enterprise Institute (EEI), National Association of Mortgage Brokers, and other organizations. She was profiled in the Spring 2008 issue of Published, a Thomson/West magazine devoted to Thomson West’s “Key Authors.” She is a Fellow of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers.
Lee is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association, and a former member of the Advisory Council of the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators (AARMR), which awarded her its Distinguished Service Award in 1997. She is a former member of the Board of Governors of the Mortgage Bankers Association of Metropolitan Washington, and a member of the Puerto Rican American Women’s League (PRAWL). She graduated from Emory University and Columbia Law School.
Lee is of Puerto Rican descent and has a special interest in education; she has been a literacy tutor with For Love of Children in Washington, D.C. and a teacher of English as a second language to senior citizens in the Arlington County (Virginia) adult education program. In 2012, she received the Vincent Reed Award from the Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs for her contributions to the Lawyers Committee’s Public Education Project and DC Public Schools.
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law
- B.A., Emory University
- Andrea Lee Negroni & Jeremiah S. Buckley, Introduction to Mortgage Lending (3d ed., American Bankers Association 2009).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, John P. Kromer, & Mary Pfaff, Residential Mortgage Lending: State Regulation Manual (Thomson Reuters 2012).
- Andrea Lee Negroni & John P. Kromer, Residential Mortgage Lending: Brokers (Thomson Reuters 2012).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, What They Didn't Teach You in Law School, Wash. Lawyer 33 (Dec. 2010).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, Mortgage Brokers: What Fiduciary Duties Exist?, Mortgage Banking (Oct. 2010).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, Meltdown Pushes More Fiduciary Duties on Mortgage Brokers, Mortgage Banking (Oct. 2010).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, The Facts on FACTA: The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions, Scotsmans Guide (Aug. 2005).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, Translating Disclosures for the Hispanic Market, Mortgage Originator (Dec. 2004).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, Marketing Mortgages en Español, Mortgage Banking (Aug. 2002).
- Andrea Lee Negroni, Opportunities in Account Aggregation, Mortgage Banking (Dec. 2000).