Professor of Law
Director of the Criminal Justice Clinic
Office: Room Y255
Binny Miller is director of the Criminal Justice Clinic and professor of law. She is faculty coordinator of the Innocence Project of the National Capital Area, which is housed at the Washington College of Law. She holds expertise in voting rights; elections; clinical legal education; and criminal justice. In her career, Miller has been trial attorney for the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and she was granted a special commendation award from them in 1987. She is author of "Give Them Back Their Lives: Recognizing Client Narrative in Case Theory," Michigan Law Review (1994); "Who Shall Rule and Govern? Local Legislative Delegations, Racial Politics, and the Voting Rights Act," Yale Law Review (1992).
- LAW-756-004 Clinical Seminar: Criminal Justice Defense (Spring)
- LAW-756-004 Clin Sem: Crim Just Defense (Fall)
- LAW-756-004A Crim Justice Clin Sem (Fall)
- LAW-761-001 Criminal Justice Clinic-Defense (Spring)
- LAW-761-001 Crim Jstc Clin: Defense (Fall)
- LAW-795JP-001 Directed Research Seminar: Juvenile Life Without Parole (Spring)
Areas of Specialization
- Clinical Legal Education
- International Commercial Arbitation
- Transactional Law and Skills
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., University of Chicago 1983
- B.A., Carleton College 1978
- Binny Miller, Telling Stories About Cases and Clients: The Ethics of Narrative, 14 Geo. J. Leg. Ethics 1 (2000).
- Binny Miller, Give Them Back Their Lives: Client Narrative and Case Theory, 93 Mich L.J. 485 (1994) (reprinted in Clinical Anthology: Readings for Live-Client Clinics ,293, Hurder, et al, eds., Anderson, 1997).
- Binny Miller, Who Shall Rule and Govern? Local Legislative Delegations, Racial Politics, and the Voting Rights Act, 102 Yale L.J. 105 (1992).
- Binny Miller, Mississippi Attempts to Sidestep Review by Justice Department and Federal Courts By Arguring that Its Voter Registration Systems is Busienss As Usual, Not a Violation of Voting Rights Act, West Legal News (1997).
- Binny Miller, Lublic Election or Private Club? Law Students Charge that GOP Convention Fee Violates Voting Rights Act, West Legal News (1995).
- Binny Miller, Disarming Hostile Majorities: A Queer Reading of Lani Guinier on Voting Rights, Gay Community News 10 (Oct. 1994).
- Binny Miller, Conference: The Supreme Court, Radical Politics, and the Right to Vote: Shaw v. Reno and the Future of the Voting Rights Act, 44 Am. U. L. Rev. 1 (1994).