Marinn Carlson McClure
Marinn Carlson is a partner in Sidley Austin LLP’s Washington, D.C. office. Her practice focuses in international dispute settlement, with an emphasis on investment disputes, including investor-state arbitration and international commercial arbitration. She has represented foreign investors as well as respondent governments in ICSID and UNCITRAL arbitrations under investment treaties and trade agreements, including NAFTA. She has represented corporate clients in a wide range of institutional and ad hoc international commercial arbitrations. She counsels clients in sectors ranging from financial services to energy to infrastructure development on the implications of international trade and investment rules for their global operations.
Ms. Carlson has spoken at conferences and taught classes, workshops, and seminars on a wide range of topics in international arbitration, including investor-state arbitration caselaw and practice as well as arbitration advocacy skills. She is a member of the Executive Committee of the Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy (FIAA), the Budget and Finance Chair (and previously an Executive Council member) of the American Society of International Law (ASIL), and she serves on the Board of Directors of the CAIR Coalition, a Washington, D.C. legal services organization focused on immigrants’ rights.
Ms. Carlson has been named as one of the Top 250 Women in Litigation, a publication honoring the achievements of female lawyers in dispute resolution practices in the United States. She has also been recommended in International Arbitration in the Legal 500 US and in the Legal 500 Latin America 2013 and 2014 and has been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a “Litigation Star” nationally (2015) and as a “Local Litigation Star” in Washington, D.C. (2014-2015). Additionally, The Best Lawyers in America (2012-2015) has listed Ms. Carlson as a “Best Lawyer” in International Arbitration – Commercial and International Arbitration – Governmental.
There are no classes currently associated with this professor.
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Yale Law School 1997
- M.P.A., Princeton University 1997
- B.A., Dartmouth College 1993 (summa cum laude)
- Marinn Carlson McClure, Jennifer Haworth McCandless, & Geoffrey D. Antell, The European Commission and Investment Treaties, The European & Middle Eastern Arb. Rev. (2010).
- Marinn Carlson McClure, Stanimir A. Alexandrov, Jennifer Haworth McCandless, & Geoffrey D. Antell, Wider Prospects for ICSID Arbitration Under China’s BITs, The Asia-Pacific Arb. Rev. (2010).
- Marinn Carlson McClure, Jennifer Haworth McCandless, & Geoffrey D. Antell, CAFTA-DR Provides Strong Investor Protections But No Flurry of Cases, Arb. Rev. of the Americas (2010).
- Marinn Carlson McClure, Stanimir Alexandrov, & Meredith Moroney, The Future of Investment Treaty Protection in Eastern Europe, The European & Middle Eastern Arb. Rev. (2009).
- Marinn Carlson McClure & Stanimir Alexandrov, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Global Arb. Review's Arb. (2007).