Amanda Cohen Leiter
Professor of Law
Office: Room Y223
Amanda Leiter is currently on leave from WCL. From August 2015 – January 2016, she served as a Deputy Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals at the U.S. Department of the Interior, where she worked to advance Department priorities related to on- and offshore oil and gas development on public lands, and onshore renewable energy development on public lands. At WCL, Professor Leiter teaches environmental law, administrative law, and torts, and her research interests include administrative law and process, and domestic environmental law and policy. Before joining the WCL faculty in the fall of 2011, Professor Leiter was an associate professor at Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law. Prior to that, she was a Beagle/HLS fellow at the Natural Resources Defense Council, where she developed and pursued federal appeals court challenges to EPA rules governing industrial air pollution.
Professor Leiter clerked for Judge Nancy Gertner of the Federal District Court for the District of Massachusetts; for Judge David Tatel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals; and for Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. She is admitted to practice before the District of Columbia, the States of Colorado and Massachusetts, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Professor Leiter is on leave from WCL until Fall 2017.
- LAW-601-001 Admin Law (Fall)
Areas of Specialization
- Administrative Law
- Environmental Law
- Torts and Compensation Systems
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Harvard Law School 2000 (cum laude)
- M.S., University of Washington 1996
- M.S., Stanford University 1992
- B.S., Stanford University 1991 (with distinction and departmental honors)
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Fracking, Federalism, and Private Governance, __ Harv. Envtl. L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Soft Whistleblowing, 48 Ga. L. Rev. 425 (2014). SSRN Link
- Bryan C. Clark & Amanda C. Leiter, Regulatory Hide and Seek: What Agencies Can (and Can’t) Do to Limit Judicial Review, 57 B.C. L. Rev. 1687 (2011). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Substance or Illusion? The Dangers of Imposing a Standing Threshold, 97 Geo. L.J. 391 (2009). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Whistle … and You’ve Got an Audience, 36 Fordham Urb. L.J. 747 (2009). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, The Perils of a Half-Built Bridge: Risk Perception, Shifting Majorities, and the Nuclear Power Debate, 35 Ecol. L.Q. 31 (2008). SSRN Link