Amanda Cohen Leiter
Associate Professor of Law
Office: Room 470
Amanda Leiter teaches environmental law, administrative law, and torts, and her research interests include administrative law and process, and domestic environmental law and policy. Before joining the WCL faculty in the fall of 2011, Professor Leiter was an associate professor at Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law. Prior to that, she was a Beagle/HLS fellow at the Natural Resources Defense Council, where she developed and pursued federal appeals court challenges to EPA rules governing industrial air pollution.
Professor Leiter clerked for Judge Nancy Gertner of the Federal District Court for the District of Massachusetts; for Judge David Tatel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals; and for Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. She is admitted to practice before the District of Columbia, the States of Colorado and Massachusetts, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mondays 2:00 - 4:00
Office hours are open to all, not just to current students, and Professor Leiter is happy to entertain questions about classes, clerkships, or jobs in the environmental field.
Areas of Specialization
- Administrative Law
- Environmental Law
- Torts and Compensation Systems
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Harvard Law School 2000 (cum laude)
- M.S., University of Washington 1996
- M.S., Stanford University 1992
- B.S., Stanford University 1991 (with distinction and departmental honors)
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Fracking, Federalism, and Private Governance, __ Harv. Envtl. L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Soft Whistleblowing, 48 Ga. L. Rev. 425 (2014). SSRN Link
- Bryan C. Clark & Amanda C. Leiter, Regulatory Hide and Seek: What Agencies Can (and Can’t) Do to Limit Judicial Review, 57 B.C. L. Rev. 1687 (2011). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Substance or Illusion? The Dangers of Imposing a Standing Threshold, 97 Geo. L.J. 391 (2009). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, Whistle … and You’ve Got an Audience, 36 Fordham Urb. L.J. 747 (2009). SSRN Link
- Amanda Cohen Leiter, The Perils of a Half-Built Bridge: Risk Perception, Shifting Majorities, and the Nuclear Power Debate, 35 Ecol. L.Q. 31 (2008). SSRN Link