Professor of Law
Raymond I. Geraldson Scholar for International and Humanitarian Law
Office: Room C301D
Claudio Grossman, Dean of American University Washington College of Law and the Raymond I. Geraldson Scholar for International and Humanitarian Law, is an expert on international law, human rights, and Inter-American affairs. Grossman was unanimously re-elected in May 2012 to a third term as chair of the United Nations Committee against Torture, a position which he has held since April 2008, and has been a Committee member following his November 2003 election to that body. He was previously a member of the Commission for the Control of Interpol’s Files. Grossman served as president of the College of the Americas, an organization of colleges and universities in the Western Hemisphere, from November 2003-November 2007. Previously, he was a member of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights from 1993-2001, where he served in numerous capacities including twice as its President (1996 and 2001) as well as the special rapporteur on the rights of indigenous populations and the special rapporteur on women's rights. He has participated in numerous on-site visits and election-observing missions in Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. He has also worked on international legal issues with the United Nations and the International Human Rights Law Group (now known as Global Rights). Grossman is fluent in Spanish, French, and Dutch. He is the author of numerous books and articles on international law, human rights, and the law of international organizations, and the recipient of numerous awards for his work in those fields.
Degrees & Universities
- Doctor in de Rechtsgeleerdheid (Doctor of the Science of Law), The University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands 1980
- Licenciado en Ciencias Jurídicas y Sociales, The University of Chile Law School, Santiago, Chile 1971 (summa cum laude)
- Claudio Grossman, Panel Remarks, Democracy, Economic Development and Human Rights (Universidad Alfonso X El Sabio, Spain, Mar. 22-24, 2006).
- Claudio Grossman, Seminar, Freedom of Expression in Chile (Universidad Diego Portales, Jan. 23, 2006).
- Claudio Grossman, Panel Remarks, Challenges to Freedom of Expression in the Western Hemisphere (OAS, Jan. 23, 2006).
- Claudio Grossman, Lecture, Human Rights in the Americas (Inter-American Defense College, Jan. 17, 2006).
- Claudio Grossman, Panel Remarks, International Commercial Arbitration (Wash., D.C., Nov. 1, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Presentation, Case on Death Penalty against Cuba (Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, Nov. 1, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Introductory Remarks, Conference on International Arbitration; Environmental Law; Intellectual Property Fair Use Conference (Nov. 1, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Seminar, Inter-American Human Rights System (Wash., D.C., Oct. 22, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Panel Remarks, Latinos in the Global Political Environment (National Latino/a Law Student Association, Oct. 21, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Presentation, Introduction to the Inter-American System of Protection on Human Rights (Wash., D.C., Oct. 11, 2005).
- Claudio Grossman, Lecture, Inter-American System of Human Rights (Universidad de San Martin de Porres, Sept. 1, 2005).
Selected Media Appearances
- CNN's International Correspondents, "Discussion About Hugo Chavez" (CNN Jan. 12, 2007) (Television Program).
- National Association of Women Judges Honors U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, Part 1 (C-Span Mar. 6, 2006).
- National Association of Women Judges Honors U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, Part 2 (C-Span Mar. 6, 2006).