Susan D. Franck
Professor of Law
Office: Room Y317
Professor Franck is an expert in the fields of international economic law, dispute settlement, and the empirical analysis of international law. Professor Franck's legal experience includes serving at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development and practicing in international dispute settlement with Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering [now Wilmer Hale] in Washington, DC and Allen & Overy in London, England. She is qualified to practice law in England and Wales, Minnesota and the District of Columbia. She is the Chair of the Academic Council of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration, a member of the Executive Committee of the American Society of International Law, and a member of the American Law Institute.
Professor Franck is the author of various articles published in journals such as the American Journal of International Law, Duke Law Journal, Fordham Law Review, Harvard Journal of International Law, Minnesota Law Review, North Carolina Law Review, Virginia Journal of International Law, and Washington University Law Review. In connection with the Lewis Center and Transnational Law Institute, she organized the Joint Symposium on International Investment and Alternative Dispute Resolution, http://investmentadr.wlu.edu, and created a UNCTAD publication summarizing the proceedings, which occurred through a collaboration blog, other online mediums and a traditional in-person conference.
She has presented her research to major international organizations including the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), the International American Development Bank (IADB), the International Centre for Settlement if Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the United Nations Commission on Trade and Investment (UNCTAD) and across the globe in Argentina, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, The Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States. Professor Franck has been elected to the International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitration and received the "New Voices" award from the American Society of International Law (ASIL) for her groundbreaking empirical analysis of investment treaty arbitration.
Areas of Specialization
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Civil Procedure
- Conflict of Laws
- Gender and the Law
- International Business Law
- Constitutional Law
- International Trade Law
- Law and Development
- Law and Economics
- Law and the Social Sciences
- Professional Responsibility
Degrees & Universities
- LL.M., University of London 1999 (with merit, in Commercial Law)
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School 1998 (magna cum laude)
- B.A., Macalester College 1993 (summa cum laude)
- Susan D. Franck, Inside the Arbitrator’s Mind, __ Emory L.J. __ (forthcoming 2016).
- Susan D. Franck, The Diversity Challenge: Exploring the “Invisible College” of International Arbitration, 53 Colum. J. Transnatl. L. 429 (2015).
- Susan D. Franck, Predicting Outcomes in Investment Treaty Arbitration, 65 Duke L.J. 459 (2015).
- Susan D. Franck, Using Investor-State Mediation Rules to Promote Conflict Management, 29 ICSID Rev. 66 (2014).
- Susan D. Franck, Foreign Investments and the Market for Law, 2014 U. Ill. L. Rev. 1617 (2014).
- Susan D. Franck, Conflating Politics and Development in the Outcomes of Investment Treaty Disputes, 55 Va. J. Intl. L. 13 (2014).
- Susan D. Franck, Rationalizing Costs in Investment Treaty Arbitration, 88 Wash. U. L. Rev. 825 (2011).
- Susan D. Franck, The ICSID Effect?: Considering Potential Variations in Arbitration Awards, 51 Va. J. Intl. L. 825 (2011).
- Susan D. Franck, Development and Outcomes of Investment Treaty Arbitration, 50 Harv. Intl. L.J. 436 (2009).
- Susan D. Franck, Empirically Evaluating Claims About Investment Treaty Arbitration, 80 N.C. L. Rev. 1 (2007).
- Susan D. Franck, The Legitimacy Crisis in Investment Treaty Arbitration: Privatizing Public International Law Through Inconsistent Decisions, 73 Fordham L. Rev. 1521 (2005).
- Susan D. Franck, International Arbitration: Demographics, Precision and Justice, in ICCA Proceedings, 33 (Albert Jan Van Den Berg, ed., 2015).
- Susan D. Franck, Managing Expectations: Beyond Formal Adjudication, in Prospects in International Investment Law and Policy (Roberto Chandi & Pierre Suave, eds., Cambridge U. Press 2013).
- Susan D. Franck, Book Review: The Public International Law Regime Governing International Investment by Jose Alvarez, 106 Am. J. Intl. L. 890, 502 (2012) (peer reviewed).
- Susan D. Franck, Empiricism and International Law: Insights for Investment Treaty Dispute Resolution, 48 Va. J. Intl. L. 767 (2008).
- Susan D. Franck, Integrating Investment Treaty Conflict and Dispute Systems Design, 92 Minn. L. REv. 161 (2007).
- Susan D. Franck, Foreign Direct Investment, Investment Treaty Arbitration and the Rule of Law, 19 Pac. McGeorge Global Bus. & Dev. L.J. 337 (2007).
- Susan D. Franck, ICSID Institutional Reform: The Evolution of Dispute Resolution and the Role of Structural Safeguards, in International Insitutional Reform: Proceedings of the Hague Joint Conference on Contemporary Issues in International Law (Agata Fijalkowski, ed., 2007).
- Susan D. Franck, The Nature and Enforcement of Investor Rights Under Investment Treaties: Do Investment Treaties Have A Bright Future,, 12 UC Davis J. Intl. L. & Policy 47 (2005).
- Susan D. Franck, International Decisions: Occidental Exploration and Production Company v. The Republic of Ecuador, 99 Am. J. Intl. L. 675 (2005) (peer reviewed).
- Susan D. Franck, The Liability of International Arbitrators: A Comparative Analysis and Proposal for Qualified Immunity, 20 N.Y. L. Sch. J. Intl. & Comp. L. 1 (2000).
Selected Media Appearances