Professor of Law
John S. Myers and Alvina Reckman Myers Scholar
Office: Room Y322
Barlow Burke is John S. Myers and Alvina Reckman Myers Scholar and professor of law. He holds expertise in real estate, real estate financial transactions, local government, land use, natural resources and Environmental Law. Earlier in his career he was a consultant for the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development on Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act; U.S. Dept. of Agriculture on Foreign Enactment Reporting Act; he was also involved with the Federal Judicial Center on abuse of civil discovery. He is the author of treatises on real estate brokerage, title insurance, and federal mortgage documents; of student texts on real and personal property, real estate transactions, and land use; and of numerous law review articles.
Areas of Specialization
- Real Estate Transactions
Degrees & Universities
- S.J.D., Yale Law School 1977
- LL.M., Yale Law School 1970
- M.C.P., University of Pennsylvania 1968
- LL.B., University of Pennsylvania Law School 1966
- A.B., Harvard University 1963
- Barlow Burke & Robert Peck, Law and Regulation of Mining: Minerals to Energy (Carolina Academic Press 2009).
- Barlow Burke & Joseph Snoe, Property: Examples & Explanations (3d, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business 2008).
- Barlow Burke, Real Estate Transactions: Examples and Explanations (4th ed., Aspen L. & Bus. 2006).
- Barlow Burke, A.M. Burkhart, & R.H. Helmholz, Fundamentals of Poperty Law: Cases & Materials (2d ed., LEXIS L. Publg. 2004).
- Barlow Burke, Personal Property in a Nutshell (3d ed., West Publg. Co. 2004).
- Barlow Burke, The Law of Title Insurance (3d ed., Aspen L. & Bus. 2000).
- Barlow Burke, Natural Resources: Cases and Materials (Anderson Publg. Co. 1998).
- Barlow Burke, The Law of Real Estate Brokers (2d ed., Little, Brown and Co. 1992).
- Barlow Burke, The Law of Federal Mortgage Documents (Little, Brown and Co. 1989).
- Barlow Burke, Secrecy and Disclosure of Land-Related Wealth (Barlow Burke, ed., Farm Foundation 1982).
- Barlow Burke, Discovery Problems in Civil Cases (Fed. Jud. Center 1980).
- Barlow Burke, American Conveyancing Patterns: Past Improvements and Current Debates (Lexington Books 1978).
- Barlow Burke, Summary of Land Use Regulation in the State of Maryland (ABA 1973).
- Barlow Burke & Nicholas Kittrie, "The Real Estate Settlement Process and Its Costs," a Report to H.U.D.-V.A. (H.U.D. 1972) (reprinted in Congressional Documents (1972) and Charles Donohue, et al., Property: Cases and Materials, 1475 (1974)).
- Barlow Burke, Concerns in Water Supply and Pollution Control (University of Rhode Island 1971).
- Barlow Burke, Tribute to the Honorable Irma Raker upon Her Retirement, 57 Am. U. L. Rev. 1572 (Spring 2008).
- Barlow Burke, Association of American Law Schools Conference: Transcript of the Sections on Natural Resources in Atlanta, Georgia, January 5, 2004, 24 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 245 (2004).
- Barlow Burke, Reclaiming the Law of Suretyship, 21 S. Ill. U. L.J. 449 (1997) (reprinted in 35 Pub. Land L. Rev. 35 (1998)).
- Barlow Burke, A Reprise of the Case of Eads v. Brazleton, 44 Ark. L. Rev. 425 (1991).
- Barlow Burke, Book Review: National Research Council, Procedures and Standards for a Multipurpose Cadastre, 53 U. Cin. L. Rev. 501 (1984).
- Barlow Burke, Book Review: Levine, M, Realtors' Liabilities, 9 Real Est. L.J. 78 (1980).
- Barlow Burke, Conveyancing in the National Capitol Region: Local Reform with National Implications, 22 Am. U. L. Rev. 763 (1980).
- Barlow Burke, The Law of Rezoning in Maryland, 25 Am. U. L. Rev. 631 (1976).
- Barlow Burke & J. Fox, The Notaire in North America: A Short Study of the Adaptation of a Civil Law Institution, 50 Tul. L. Rev. 318 (1976).
- Barlow Burke, Modernizing Title Search Practices By Legislation, 46 Pa. B. Assn. Q. 167 (1975).
- Barlow Burke, Book Review: Mandelker, D., Housing Subsidies in the United States and England, 3 Real Est. L.J. 99 (1974).
- Barlow Burke, Federal Intervention in Conveyancing Reform, 22 Am. U. L. Rev. 239 (1973).
- Barlow Burke & C.T. Dienes, Creating a Community Process of Land Development for Urban Growth, 9 Hous. L. Rev. 189 (1971).
- Barlow Burke, The Threat to Citizen Participation in Model Cities, 56 Cornell L. Rev. 751 (1971).
Selected Teaching Materials
- Barlow Burke, Robert E. Beck & Cyril Fox, Jr., Mineral Law: Cases and Materials (West Publg. Co. 1994).