Dr. Waris Husain
SJD Program Graduate
Dr. Waris Husain received his SJD degree from American University Washington College of Law, specializing in constitutional and comparative law in 2017. His dissertation focused on the development of judicial review in the Supreme Courts of Pakistan, India and the United States, specifically examining the role of the Supreme Court in Presidential and Prime Ministerial impeachments. His dissertation has been accepted for publication as a book by U.S./European publisher.
He has served as a comparative constitutional law lecturer for the United States Embassy of Nepal, expanding person-to-person connections between constitutional academics and practitioners of law in Nepal. He co-founded the South Asia Jurist, an online publication focusing on legal developments across South Asia. Dr. Husain also served as a legal affairs writer for Dawn Newsgroup and Express Tribune in Pakistan.
Dr. Husain received his J.D. from the Howard University School of Law in 2011, and received his LL.M. at American University Washington College of Law, specializing in international human rights and international business in 2013. As a former member of the GTB International Moot Court team, Dr. Husain won Second Best Oralist at the 2010 Susan J. Ferrell Moot Intracultural Human Rights Moot Court Competition. He went on to win the Best Oralist Award at the 2011 D.M. Harish Moot Court Competition in Mumbai, India.
Degrees & Universities
S.J.D. Candidate, American University Washington College of Law
LL.M., American University Washington College of Law, 2013
JD, Howard University School of Law, 2011
BA, Government, College of William and Mary, 2008
Areas of Specialization
International Human Rights
“Early Warning Signs of Shia Genocide in Pakistan.” Accepted for publication in Howard University School of Law’s Human Rights and Globalization Journal, Winter 2015.
- U.S. State Department Speaker Program: U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu, (2016 and 2017)
- Emerging Legal Scholar, University of Denver School of Law, (2014)
- Americans for Justice and Democracy in Pakistan Research Grant on Pakistani Jurisprudence, (2012)
- Reform in Pakistan's Judiciary, Woodrow Wilson Institute for International Scholars (forthcoming).
- Chapter on Pakistan's Patchwork of High Court Justice , Routledge Handbook on Pakistan (2017).
- Nawaz Sharif and the Panama Papers Judgment, The Diplomat, April 25, 2017. http://thediplomat.com/2017/04/nawaz-sharif-and-the-panama-papers-judgement-in-pakistan/
- Pakistan's Lawyers and Judges Clash, The Diplomat, October 27, 2016. http://thediplomat.com/2016/11/pakistans-lawyers-and-judges-clash/
- Simmering Shia Genocide in Pakistan, Early Warning & Action, Howard University Human and Civil Rights Law Review (2015).https://www.academia.edu/25300077/SIMMERING_SHIA_GENOCIDE_IN_PAKISTAN_EARLY_WARNING_AND_ACTION
- Surveillance and Law Enforcement: Tools in the Fight Against Terror In A Comparative Study of the United States and Pakistan, 21 ILSA J. Int’l & Comp. L. 25 (2014).
- Headscarf Bans and International Law, The Lahore School of Grammar Review (2014).
- Multiple Articles on Dawn (dawn.com) http://www.dawn.com/authors/950/waris-husain
- Multiple Articles on The Express Tribune (tribune.com.pk) http://tribune.com.pk/author/4088/waris-husain/
Online Presentation for Nepali International Relations Students, “Nepal’s New Constitution: A View from the United States” United States Embassy- Kathmandu, Nepal, December 13, 2015
Presentation for 2014 Mid-Atlantic SJD Conference, hosted by Georgetown Law Center, December 5, 2014
Presentation for the U.S. Department of State Office of International Religious Freedom, “Religious Minority Protection in Pakistan,” May 7, 2014
Presentation of Working Paper, “Pakistan’s Duty to Prevent Shia Genocide by Non-State Actors” Southeast/Southwest People of Color Legal Scholarship Conference, March 1, 2014