The Society for International Economic Law
6th Biennial Global Conference
Washington D.C., 12-14 July 2018
Hosted by SIEL and American University Washington College of Law
On July 12-14, 2018, American University Washington College of Law (AUWCL) proudly hosted the Sixth Biennial Global Conference of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL) on “International Economic Law in Unsettling Times”, the largest conference in the history of SIEL. Prof. Ala’i, Director of International and Comparative Legal Studies at AUWCL and Member of SIEL Executive Council, led the AUWCL team in hosting the conference that convened for the first time in the US.
The 3-day long conference attracted 300 attendees from around the world, including 194 speakers presenting 150 papers reviewed on a double blind and confidential basis. It featured 8 plenary sessions and 28 concurrent panels on compelling topics, such as WTO’s Appellate Body and the NAFTA in unsettling times; security and necessity exceptions in international trade; the multilateral trading system post-Brexit; digital trade and data governance; and the multilateral investment court.
The conference keynotes and plenary sessions were delivered by highly respected experts in international economic law.
- Watch Thursday opening keynote lecture and plenary sessions here (“Understanding International Economic Law unsettling times: a feminist approach?; “A Conversation on the WTO Appellate Body in Unsettling Times”, “The NAFTA State of Play and the Implications Arising from the New Rules”)
- Watch Friday plenary sessions here (“A Conversation on Security-Based Investment Restrictions”; “Financial Policy and Practice in Unsettling Time”)
- Watch Robert Hudec Lecture: “The Robert Hudec Legacy: Trade, Domestic Regulation, and Globalization”.
- Watch “The New Protectionism: What Role Can International Trade Agreements and Institutions Play?”
- Watch Closing Keynote Lecture: “Special Economic Zone – A Catalyst for International Trade and Investment in Unsettling Times?”.
All photos are available