Wireless Configuration for Windows XP
WCL Secure Wireless Network Instructions
Please refer to the configuration instructions below to take advantage of the new wcl wireless network. Important: Please note that only network cards supporting 802.11a/n 5 GHz will be able to connect to wcl at this time. You should check your list of available wireless networks to make sure your computer can see wcl before going through the instructions below.
If you have any questions about the new wireless network or need assistance connecting to the new network, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-274-4021 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protecting your Connection
Connect to WCL's New Wireless Network
Windows XP supports wireless networking without the need for additional software, as long as you have the latest operating system Service Packs installed. Installing your wireless card on your laptop consists of two main steps, installing your wireless card and configuring your wireless card for AU's wireless network. Most laptops purchased within the last three years will have wireless networking already built-in.
WCL's wcl wireless network currently requires an 802.11a/n compliant wireless network card. The card must be correctly configured in order to participate in AU's wcl wireless network.
Simply turn on your laptop and insert your external wireless networking card, if it is not installed internally.
- Click the Wireless Network Connection bubble message that appears at the bottom right of your screen.
- Right Click and View Available Wireless Networks
- Choose wcl
- The Enter Credentials screen will then appear as shown below.
- Enter your my.american.edu User Name and Password in the spaces provided and click OK. You can ignore the Logon Domain field.
- Click OK on the Validate Server Certificate window to continue. You should now be connected to wcl.
For further assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550 or via email at email@example.com.