In the event of snow, storms, or any other weather that might delay or shut down the university, American University’s operating status will be communicated through the following methods:
- RAVE text alerts (sign up here)
- AU’s home Web Page: www.american.edu.
- WCL’s home Web page: www.wcl.american.edu.
- AU’s telephone information line: 202-885-1100
- WCL’s class Information Line: 202-274-4400
- Most televisions and radio stations will broadcast announcement of school closings or delay
These sources will provide general information on the University’s operating status and detailed schedule information for essential services.
To the extent possible based on the nature of the emergency, operating status announcements will be made no less than 3 hours prior to the time of scheduled events so that students and employees can make appropriate arrangements (weekend class announcements follow the same guidelines as weekdays).