Env Justice & Comm Lawyering (LAW-795EJ-001)
Amanda Leiter, Bill Snape, Fred Tutman
All summer 2021 classes will be taught online. Classes may have a combination of live sessions and asynchronous materials/assignments. The block of time listed here will be the maximum amount of live session meeting time expected of you and may decrease.
N/A. Please contact the instructor for further information.
Textbooks and Other Materials
The textbook information on this page was provided by the instructor. Students should use this information when considering purchases from the AU Campus Store or other vendors. Students may check to determine if books are currently available for purchase online.
First Class Readings
- Robert Bullard, Environmental Justice For All, essay
- Taking Nature Black, 2020 Taking Nature Black Highlight Video – and Live Music Video! - YouTube
- Ain’t I an Environmentalist too? Article by Ludovic Blaine
- Statement on Racism in the Environmental Field
- Environmental Justice Movement Timeline (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Series in The Guardian by Nina Lakhani, Our Unequal Earth
- Please read the series intro story here
- Then pick 3-4 additional stories to read from the longer series (note that there are two pages of article links). At some point during the week, I will ask each of you to share the details of ONE story with the class. I will call on a few people each day, so you should be sure you’ve read the stories for day 1 and have notes to share with your classmates whenever I call on you.
- First National People of Color Environmental Leadership Summit, “Principles of Environmental Justice,” Washington, D.C., October 24-27, 1991
- Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing
- Dorceta Taylor and Green 2.0, The Green Insiders’ Club; Green 2.0 2019 Report Card
- Scorecard.org Environmental Justice Maps (type in your hometown zip)
Use your MyAU username and password to access the syllabus in the following format(s):