Curious about Washington College of Law's Online Lawyer Re-Entry Program? Join a live chat on Tuesday, August 25 at 5PM (EST) with Linda Mercurio, executive director of the Lawyer Re-Entry Program. During the live chat, Linda will answer questions about the online program as well as discuss what it takes to prepare for a renewed legal career.
Click here to register
How to Apply
September 14 - October 23rd
Deadline to register: September 2, 2015
Lawyer Re-Entry Program
Office of Academic Affairs
American University Washington College of Law
4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 362
Washington, DC 20016
Online Lawyer Reentry Program
Led by Linda Mercurio, Esq., a professional development trainer and coach, and Washington College of Law faculty and career experts, this online program offers sessions on: reclaiming professional identity; job search strategies and tools; legal research, writing, and technology; and post-program one-on-one coaching.
Upon completion of the course, program participants receive a certificate of completion, become certified in Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law, and are eligible to receive continuing legal education credits.
Who Should Apply?
The Online Lawyer Reentry Program is designed for lawyers looking to resume, transition in, or reinvent their professional lives. It is especially suited for lawyers whose careers might not have followed the traditional, linear model.
- Attorneys who left the paid profession who now (or in the near future) want to reenter the practice of law or resume professional life in an alternative legal career;
- Attorneys currently in paid positions who want to transition in or reinvent their careers;
- Attorneys who want to refresh their legal skills by learning and/or practicing online legal research and developing a current writing sample;
- Attorneys who want to develop or update a resume, especially those who want to reflect and favorably present transferable skills gained via non-legal accomplishments and volunteer activities;
- Attorneys who want to make connections with other similarly situated attorneys to develop a network of support and encouragement.
Participants Will Learn To:
- Reclaim or revive sense of self as lawyer and professional;
- Create a career vision aligned with values and goals;
- Explore career options and develop a job search strategy;
- Find job search resources and tools;
- Develop and/or update a resume;
- Develop a LinkedIn profile and learn about social media and the law;
- Request and conduct effective informative interviews;
- Interview successfully in person, by phone and by video conference;
- Build or enhance a professional network;
- Engage with an online community of learners using technology;
- Use Westlaw, Lexis and Bloomberg Law to perform online legal research;
- Become Certified in Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law usage;
- Develop a legal writing sample; and
- Start a solo practice.
What Makes This Program Different?
This online program - one of only two law school-based programs in the country - provides participants with the flexibility and convenience of reinventing their careers while also managing other competing interests (i.e. family commitments, current employment, etc...). Following the program, participants will receive access to Westlaw and Lexis for a period of time and benefit from one-on-one coaching to sustain re-entry or re-invention efforts. In addition, participants will have an opportunity to become certified in Lexis, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law. Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Accreditation may be applied for upon request. Please be sure to check with your state(s) to ensure that Distance Learning is accredited as this varies greatly state by state.
What else makes this program different? Watch the welcome video with Linda Mercurio, Director of the Lawyer Re-entry Program, and you'll see!
Length of the Program:
The course curriculum modules are designed to be completed in 6 weeks, with ongoing coaching and access to Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law and the course platform, continuing for 3 months post curriculum module completion.