Washington College of Law|
Center For Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
RESOLUTION No. 57/81
CASE 4662 (CHILE)
October 16, 1981
- A communication of August 7, 1979 denounced the fact that the Chilean
authorities had denied a request by Evelyn Krotoschiner Kleman to return to her country.
- In a note dated November 6, 1979, the Commission transmitted the pertinent parts
of the denunciation to the Government of Chile, and requested that it provide such information as
it considered pertinent, as well as any other background information that would enable the
Commission to judge whether or not domestic legal remedies had been exhausted in the case that
is the subject of the present request. It also wrote to the clatmant on the same date and informed
him of how his communication had been handled.
- Since it had received no reply from the Government, the Commission reiterated its
request for information in a note dated February 24, 1981, and set a deadline of 30 days for
receipt of that information.
- The pertinent requirements established in Article 20 of the Commission's Statute
other corresponding rules of the Statute and of the Regulations have been compiled with;
- Article VIII of the American Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Man
establishes that: "Every person has a right to fix his residence within the territory of the state of which he is a national, to move about freely within such territory and not to leave it except by his own will";
- In a communication of May 23, 1978, published in the newspaper "E1 Mercurio"
May 24, 1978, the Ministry of the Interior reported that the request by Evelyn Krotoschlner
for re-entry into the country was rejected; and
- The Commission has received no reply of any kind from the Government of Chile
to its request for information of November 6, 1979, which was repeated on February 24, 1981,
THE INTER-AMERICAN COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
- To declare that the Government of Chile is in violation of Article VIII (right to
residence and movement) of the American Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Man by
preventing Evelyn Krotoschiner Kleman from re-entering her country.
- To recommend to the Government: a) that it give Miss Evelyn Krotoschiner
Kleman the necessary permission to re-enter her country and b) that it report to the Commission within 60
days on the measures it has adopted to put this recommendation into effect.
- To convey this resolution to the Government of Chile and to the claimant.
- To include this resolution in the Annual Report to the General Assembly of the
Organization of American States in accordance with Article 50.4 of the Regulations of the
Commission, if the Government of Chile does not adopt the stated recommendations within the
[ Inter-American Human Rights