Korea-US Free Trade Agreement
On June 30, 2007, the governments of Korea and the United States signed the Korea-US Free Trade Agreement. Like other recent free trade agreements, the Korean FTA includes intellectual property provisions that exceed WTO rules on patents and registration data, designed to delay the entry of generic drugs into the Korean market. Additionally, the Korea-US FTA includes a chapter on pharmaceuticals and medical devices which imposes rules on the reimbursement of drugs under Korea's national insurance. To take effect, the Korus FTA must now be ratified by legislatures in Korea and the US, but it remains controversial in both nations.
- Mike Palmedo. The Korus FTA Will Lead to Higher Drug Prices in Korea. (June 3, 2007).
- Sean Flynn and Mike Palmedo. Initial Response to the Korus FTA Pharmaceuticals and IP Chapters, (May 25, 2007)
- PIJIP. How KORUS FTA Will Raise Drug Prices, (April 18, 2007).
- Sean Flynn. "Annex 2C-plus" provisions in the Korea-US FTA Pharmaceuticals Chapter, (April 27, 2007).
- Sean Flynn and Sharon Treat. A Drug Deal Gone Bad. Tompaine.com, (March 29, 2007).
- Sean Flynn. Statement at the Hearing on the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement Negotiations Before the Subcomm. on Trade of the H. Comm. on Ways and Means, 110th Cong. (March 20, 2007).
- Sean Flynn. Access to Medicines Issues in the US-Korea Free Trade Negotiations, (February 11, 2007).
US Governmet Documents
- Congressional Research Service. The Proposed US-Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS FTA): Provisions and Implications. (January 22, 2008).
- Office of the United States Trade Representative. Free Trade with Korea - Summary of the KORUS FTA, (April 2007).
- Office of the United States Trade Representative. United States and Korea Conclude Historic Trade Agreement, (April 2, 2007).
- Karan K. Bhatia, Deputy U.S. Trade Representative. Statement at the Hearing on the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement Negotiations Before the Subcomm. on Trade of the H. Comm. on Ways and Means, 110th Cong. (March 20, 2007).
Civil Society Documents
- Letter from Ginny Lyons, VT State Senator, and Kathleen Keenan, VT State Representative, to Sens. Patrick Leahy and Bernard Sanders, and Rep. Peter Welsh. (April 18, 2007).
- Letter from Meg Burton Cahill, AZ State Senator, and Kevin Ryan, CT State Representative, to Rep. Sander Levin and the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Trade, (March 18, 2007).
- Center for Policy Analysis on Trade and Health. The U.S.-South Korea Trade Agreement: Affordable Medicines and Tobacco Control Under Fire Statement on the FTA, (April 3, 2007)
- Geralyn S. Ritter, Vice President of International Affairs, Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America. Statement at the Hearing on the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement Negotiations Before the Subcomm. on Trade of the H. Comm. on Ways and Means, 110th Cong. (march 20, 2007)
- Thomas P. Kim. Policy Brief on the Proposed U.S.-Republic of Korea Free Trade Agreement, (February 12, 2007).
- Heesob Nam. Excerpts from Korean Government's Summary of the FTA (Unofficial Translation), (April 9, 2007).