MENTORING FOR FIRST GENERATION LAW STUDENTS
Interested in maximizing your law school experience?
ADVANCE is a strategic mentoring initiative designed to provide support to and improve the academic and professional achievements of first generation 1L students at WCL through a two-tiered mentoring system that pairs student mentees with an upper level law student mentor (ADVANCE mentor) and a network of working legal professionals and WCL alumni (ADVANCE PLUS mentor).
ADVANCE builds upon and collaborates with existing efforts led by WCL's diversity and student-based initiatives recognizing the great efforts advanced by these organizations in strengthening academic and professional excellence in the law. ADVANCE is geared toward first-generation law students because it has identified a specific need within this community of students who can particularly benefit from the kind of guidance needed to navigate the legal academic and professional community.
Areas of focus
ADVANCE hopes to create a continuum of assistance, guidance and mentoring in five identified areas of greatest need:
- Improving academic performance
- Making professors students’ greatest assets
- Getting ahead through summer internships
- Time management and balanced/healthy living
- Leveraging WCL resources (journals and briefs; moot court; mock trial; on-campus jobs; externships and internships; financial aid and scholarships)
What you can do
Join ADVANCE as a mentee
- Sign up for our email list today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.