About our Students


Spring 2011 LL.M. in Law and Government Graduating Class


Students in the LL.M. in Law and Government are a diverse group of lawyers who come from a variety of educational and professional backgrounds. The Program takes pride in the diversity of the student body. Each year the program welcomes lawyers from all over the United States and the world. Generally speaking, about 25% of the incoming class each fall are foreign trained lawyers while the remaining 75% hold law degrees from the U.S. The Program on Law and Government is proud of the diversity of the LL.M. class. The incoming student profile shows that each year the Program recruits students from a variety of backgrounds.

Establishing a Network


The Law and Government LL.M. Board is a student run organization focusing on offering a community of support and programming to LL.M. in Law and Government and SJD students. Each year, the LL.M. student body elects representatives to organize social gatherings, educational conferences, volunteer opportunities, networking opportunities, and student support. In the LL.M. in Law and Government program, a students education and interaction expands beyond the classroom to establish a network of colleagues for years to come.

Getting Involved


At the American University Washington College of Law, the opportunities to get involved are limitless. For every specialization within the LL.M. in Law and Government there is a corresponding student association. Students can supplement coursework and work experience with programming and activities available through groups like the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy, Environmental Law Society, Health Law and Justice Initiative, Immigrants' Rights Coalition, or the National Security and Law Society to name a few.

Beyond subject area groups, the Washington College of Law has several interest area groups that serve to further extend students' networks such as the Black Law Students Association, Lambda Law Society, Latina/Latino Law Students Association, or the South Asian Law Students Association.