Financial Aid and Eligibility for International Students

The following requirements must be met to receive financial aid.

  • Enrollment - To qualify for federal or private loan support you must be enrolled in a degree program at least half time. For financial aid purposes half-time enrollment is defined as a minimum of six credit hours.
  • Citizenship - You must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive federal loan assistance, secure private loan funds or apply for WCL need-based grants. NOTE: A limited number of grants are offered to international students seeking admission to the LLM International Legal Studies Program or Law and Government Program. Contact the program for additional information.You are encouraged to explore other sources for possible funding.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - Full-time students must complete 24 credit hours per academic year and maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average. Part-time students are required to complete 80% of attempted academic year credits and maintain a cumulative 2.00 grade point average. SAP is measured once yearly at the end of the school year.

Additional requirements may apply for various programs.

International students are required to document ability to finance educational expenses prior to departure for study in the United States. Neither federally-funded programs administered by the Washington College of Law nor WCL need-based grants are available to international students.

Private Loans: A number of US lending institutions will provide loans to foreign nationals. These loans are often expensive for non-citizens and usually require a co-borrower who is a US citizen or a permanent resident residing in the United States.

Employment: Employment for international students is permitted under strictly defined and enforced regulations. You may contact the University Office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) at for additional information.

Your embassy in Washington, D.C.: Possible scholarship funding or information on funding sources.

The Foundation Center: A reference library for funding sources located at 1001 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 938, Washington, D.C. 20016.

Funding for U.S. Study: A Guide for Foreign Nationals. This reference book provides a listing of scholarships, grants, fellowships and paid internships. It is available from the Institute of International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, N.Y. 10017-3580 for $39.95. You may reach the institute by phone at (212) 984-5412.

Information may also be found at the following web sites.

Financial Information for LLM in International Legal Studies (ILSP)

Financial Information for LLM in Law and Government

Financial Information for SJD

Additional Resources Posted by Washington College of Law

Additional Resources Posted by American University’s International Scholar and Student Services Office (ISSS)