The Gallogly Family Foundation created the Public Interest Fellowship Program to increase access to critical legal services and to help new lawyers pursue a career in public interest law. The program supports recent graduates of American University Washington College of Law (AUWCL) and the University of Oklahoma College of Law (OU).
Fellows work for a domestic 501(c)(3) nonprofit on a new or existing project within the organization. The host organization must:
- provide direct civil legal services to the poor (including the working poor) and/or those deprived of their civil or human rights;
- have at least two lawyers on staff;
- and provide the fellow with supervision, work space, materials, malpractice insurance, and the cost of health benefits that exceed $5,000.00.
Examples of host organizations include Oklahoma Indian Legal Services, Ayuda, and Metropolitan Fair Housing Council of Oklahoma, Inc. The first Gallogly fellows from AUWCL will start in Fall 2017 and work at Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) and Legal Aid Justice Center.
Fellowships include a one-year salary of $45,000.00 and up to $5,000.00 to help cover health benefits costs. Fellowships will last one year, with the option to renew for an additional year.
The complete application details are available on Career Link. Application requirements include the following: 1) resume; 2) transcripts; 3) three professional references; 4) two short essays; and 5) a letter of support from the host organization.
- Application Deadline: October 16, 2017
- On-Campus Interviews: October 27, 2017
- Fellowships offers: December 2017
- Fellowships begin: Fall 2018
Gallogly Family Foundation:
Jim Gallogly (OU ’77) and his family started the foundation in 2011 after Gallogly’s career in oil and gas. His daughter, Kasey DeLuke, is the foundation’s executive director and 2009 graduate of AUWCL. The foundation’s giving is focused on educational opportunities and land conservation.
For more information, please contact Angie McCarthy, Assistant Director, Office of Public Interest at email@example.com or (202) 274-4099.