IP at the Supreme Court Series: TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC
March 27th, 2017
4:30pm | Room NT01
Reception to Follow
In PIJIP’s ongoing Supreme Court Series, a panel of counsel for amici and parties will discuss the case on the afternoon following oral argument before the Court.
- Professor Michael Carroll, American University Washington College of Law, Moderator
- Professor Jonas Anderson, American University Washington College of Law, Panelist
- James Dabney, Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, Counsel for Petitioner
- Brian Burgess, Goodwin Proctor LLP, Counsel for Respondent
- Professor Megan La Belle, Catholic University of America School of Law, representing Professors of Patent Law and Civil Procedure on amicus brief
Whether the patent venue statute, 28 U.S.C. § 1400(b), which provides that patent infringement actions “may be brought in the judicial district where the defendant resides[,]” is the sole and exclusive provision governing venue in patent infringement actions and is not to be supplemented by the statute governing “[v]enue generally,” 28 U.S.C. § 1391, which has long contained a subsection (c) that, where applicable, deems a corporate entity to reside in multiple judicial districts.