Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How much does the program cost?

Tuition Costs for the 2016-2017 academic year are:

$  46.104/ per 24 credits
$ 1,921 /per credit

What are the admission requirements and deadlines?

We require you to: 1) have a law degree; 2) provide official transcripts from your  law school to the admissions office; 3) submit 2 letters of recommendation; 4) submit a personal statement about what you seek to gain from the program; 5) submit a $55.00 application fee; and 6) submit a completed application form.

Where is WCL located?

You may find directions to the Washington College of Law on our WCL map.

What financial aid is available?

The IHRHL offers a scholarship based on financial need and academic merit. For more information, contact Claudia Blount at or call 202-274-4356.

The Financial Aid Office (202-274-4040) assists qualifying students in obtaining US Federal and private loans.

How long will the program take to complete?

The program is very flexible. Usually between 18-24 months. Depending on your visa status, you may take as many or as few courses as you would like.  To obtain the LLM degree you must successfully complete 24 credits. The online courses are offered to accommodate working students.

Can I transfer credits from courses I took at other U.S. universities a few years ago?

Unfortunately, the 24 required credits must be from law courses within the International Human Rigths and Humanitarian Law curriculum at WCL. 

What are the language proficiency requirements for international applicants?

International applicants must have taken the TOEFL or IELTS exam and must earn a minimum score of 580 (563 paper-based; 84 IBT) for the TOEFL or 6.5 for the IELTS to be considered for admission.  Official TOEFL scores must be directly sent from the Education Testing Service (ETS). 

Can I be a part-time student?

Yes, however, F-1 or J-1 students must take 6 credits or more per residential semester.

What housing options are available? 

The Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law does not provide housing for participants nor do we endorse any particular option. However, we do have a special arrangement with AU Housing in which participants can stay in the residence halls for a reduced rate.

What is included in university housing? 

Residence halls are basic accommodations including beds, desks and dressers. These accommodations usually include single or shared rooms and shared bathrooms.

How do I apply for university housing? 

Participants may contact the American University Summer Conference Housing, by e-mailing or by calling (202) 885-3370. Participants will then apply for Summer Housing a few months prior to the beginning of the program.

May I smoke on the Housing premises?

No. American University has a strict Tobacco Free Policy, this policy prohibits the use of tobacco products and medical marijuana on property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled or operated by the University including campus owned, leased or rented vehicles. The policy applies to faculty, staff, students, vendors, guests, and contractors.

Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, hookah-smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff).

For more information, please visit the Tobacco Free AU website found here.

How is the Weather during the program?

Washington D.C. weather can vary greatly. In general, climate is warm during summer when temperatures tend to be 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. You can check a detailed weather forecast at

Will I have access to Wi-Fi on campus?

Yes, you will have to register your laptop with IT