Cassell features a 24-hour front desk, air conditioning, wireless internet access, parking, twin size beds, and community bathroom facilities.
Rooms at Cassell Hall are set up as two and three room suites, which means that a maximum of four people will share a bathroom in the two room suite and a maximum of six people will share two bathrooms in the three room suite. You can view plans here and here.
Linens can be exchanged at the front desk.
Toilet paper can also be requested at the front desk.
Dormitories are the most minimal of accommodations and they include a bed, linens, desk and dressers. Rooms do not have phones or televisions.
Participants that stay in the dorms will be issued an AU Conference Card that grants them access to the fitness center.
The AU Conference Card can also be used to do laundry in the dorms, print on campus and buy food on campus and at select retailers off campus. There are machines in the building where you can add money to the cards.
Washington College of Law is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the dorms or you can take a free shuttle that will bring you to the law school.
Parking is not included as part of the housing package. If your require parking, this will be $16 per day per car and can be obtained from the Office of Public Safety
About: Cassell Hall
- Rooms and bathrooms are only cleaned prior to check-in. You are responsible for maintaining your area.
- Please do not order packages or mail to the dorms. You will not receive them.
- The American University dormitories are NOT a hotel. The individuals working there are staff and students at the University. Please treat them accordingly.
- Refund requests are requests only and are not a guarantee that a refund will be granted. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are subject to approval by the Director of University Conference and Guest Services.
- Reductions to the original requested Stay Period will only be accepted in writing and must be received no less than fourteen (14) days prior to the original check-in date. Any changes made with less than fourteen (14) days’ notice prior to the original check-in date will not be approved and the full payment for the Stay Period will be due in full.
- Resident hall ‘Quiet Hours’ are from 12AM to 7AM. Please be courteous and respectful of your fellow program participants, as well as the additional residents, interns, students and guests that share your living space.
- Do not move any piece of furniture from your rooms. For example, you cannot move your mattress into another room.
- American University community members uphold university policies and abide by local, state, and federal laws pertaining to alcohol and other drugs. Individuals accept personal responsibility for the outcome of their decisions.
- Consumption or possession of alcohol/drugs is strictly prohibited in university residence halls. A participant that violates this rule will not only face immediate expulsion from the program but will also be charged for misconduct with the University and the local authorities.
- American University does not tolerate sexual misconduct of any kind, in any context.
- Intimidating or forcing a person into sexual activity violates American University’s stated values and policies and is punishable with severe sanctions.
- Sexual misconduct includes, but is not limited to, rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment.
- Incidents will be reported to the University as well as local authorities.
- Various campus groups and offices are available for counseling and support
Failure to abide by these rules could result in dismissal from the Program and/or complications with the law.
Tobacco Free Policy
This policy prohibits the use of tobacco products and medical marijuana on property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled or operated by the University including campus owned, leased or rented vehicles. The policy applies to faculty, staff, students, vendors, guests, and contractors.
Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, hookah-smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff).
For more information, please visit the Tobacco Free AU website found here.