Compliance-Related Writing Project Approval Policy
To count academic credits earned in Advanced Topics in Health Law toward the 15 credits required for the Health Care Compliance Certificate, students must receive approval from the course instructor in consultation with the Health Law and Policy Program Director.
To seek approval of a writing project as Compliance-Related, the student must submit the following materials to his or her instructor for Advanced Topics in Health Law:
(a) a one-page proposal outlining the substantive of the writing project OR
(b) the completed writing project
AND (2) a one-page description of how this writing project relates to corporate compliance and ethics, with specific reference to one or more of the following topics:
- Application of management practices for the compliance professional
- Application of personal and business ethics in compliance (including corporate responsibility)
- Written compliance policies and procedures
- Designation of compliance officers and committees (compliance oversight)
- Compliance training and education
- Communication and reporting mechanisms in compliance
- Enforcement of compliance standards and discipline
- Auditing and monitoring for compliance
- Response to compliance violations and corrective actions AND/OR
- HIPAA privacy implementation
To be approved as a compliance-related writing project, the instructor and the Director of the Health Law and Policy Program must agree that at least 50% of the student’s writing project relates to one or more of the corporate compliance and ethics topics referenced in (2)(a)-(j), above. The fit between the proposed project and the student’s prior coursework, including whether the student has taken prior courses in corporate compliance and ethics and/or health care compliance, will also be taken into account.
The instructor will inform the student regarding the approval determination within 30 days following the student’s submission. If approval is denied, the student may appeal via the Policy on Grading, Assessment, and Review. A determination that a writing project is not compliance-related will in no way affect a student’s grade, but if the project is not approved as compliance-related, the credits earned in Advanced Topics in Health Law will not count toward fulfillment of the requirements for the Health Care Compliance Certificate.