Health Care Compliance Certificate Course Requirements
Students enrolled in a J.D. or LL.M. program at American University Washington College of Law who complete the following course requirements and earn a cumulative 3.0 grade point average within the courses they take to fulfill the course requirements, will be awarded, upon graduation, a Health Care Compliance Certificate indicating that they have completed a concentration of courses in health care law and compliance.
- Corporate Compliance and Ethics** 3 credits
- Health Law 3 credits
- Health Care Fraud and Abuse 3 credits
- Health Information Privacy and Data Security Law* 2 credits
- At least four additional credits from among the following courses:
- Health Care Corporate Compliance and Governance 1 credit
- The False Claims Act in the Health Care Industry: 1 credit
- Health Care Regulatory and Compliance Practicum** 2 credits
- Bioethics and Regulation of Human Subjects Research 2 credits
- Advanced Topics in Health Law and Food and Drug Law: Writing Seminar* 2 credits
(upon approval of a compliance-related writing project topic)
- Approved Externships** 2-4 credits
(upon approval of a compliance-related externship placement)
* Course may also satisfy the Upper Level Writing Requirement for J.D. students.
** Course credits also count toward the experiential education requirement for J.D. students.