2014-2015 LLM Financial Information

Payment of Fees | Living Expenses | Financial Assistance: ILSP Scholarships | Financial Aid for U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents | Financial Aid & Other Information for International Students

LLM Tuition & Fees
2014-2015 Academic Year


Tution per semester (12-17 credits) $24,331
Tuition per credit (1-11 credits) $1,802

Students must complete 24 credits to earn the LLM

Fees (per semester)

12-17 credits
1-11 credits
Law School Fees $440 $256
AU Student Health Insurance per year** $1,675 $1,675

* In order to satisfy F-1 visa requirements, students must be registered for a minimum of 8 credit hours per semester. Other visa statuses may have other requirements.

**AU Student Health Insurance may be waived IF you are able to demonstrate comparable health insurance, and specifically waive coverage.

Estimated Living Expenses
2014-2015 Academic Year

In addition to tuition and fees, students will be responsible for additional living expenses. Please see the chart below for an estimate of other expenses you may incur during your time in the LLM program.


Housing $15,477
Food $4,344
Books $1,363
Local Transportation $4,792
Misc. (phone, clothing, entertainment) $2,200

Payment of Fees

The payment of all tuition and fees for students is handled through the University's office of Student Accounts, and is subject to the rules and regulations of that office. Students participating in General Registration, including all entering students, must pay the balance to the Office of Student Accounts. Registration is not complete until the student pays his or her bill.

Students who fail to meet the payment due date will be assessed a late registration fee. The university offers deffered-payment plans if needed.

Living Expenses

    There is no on-campus housing provided for graduate students. However, there are many off-campus housing options ranging from single/shared apartments to room rentals. Average costs for students sharing accommodations range from $800 to $1,200 per month. Normally, students must also rent or purchase furnishings, such as furniture and cooking utensils. Students planning to live alone should expect to pay at least $1,000+ per month.

    In general, it is not possible to locate off-campus housing by mail or by telephone. Once students arrive in Washington, DC, the university's Off-Campus Housing Office provides housing resources. This information can be obtained on the housing and dining website.

    In addition, International Student Orientation programs, held at the beginning of each academic semester, provide workshops designed to aid students in their housing search.

    All full-time international students (except those holding A, G or H visa) are required to have health insurance. International students are automatically enrolled and billed for the university- sponsored insurance plan. The AU health insurance plan is $1,675 for the academic year. Students may waive this fee if proof of a comparable plan is provided to the Health Center. Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide health insurance for their dependants as well. The costs are $6,665 per year for a spouse and $3,890 per year for each accompanying child (these fees are subject to change). The school-sponsored insurance is effective from August to August.

    Students should also budget for transportation costs, which vary greatly depending on distance from the university and on preferred type of public transportation. For example, students who utilize the metro and bus systems, should expect to pay $75-125 per month.

    Married students who plan to bring their families should add at least $5,500 for their spouse and $4,000 for each child per year to their annual living expenses (includes insurance costs).

Financial Aid for U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents

U.S. citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal financial aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the March 1 priority deadline. Do not wait until you are admitted to apply for financial aid. If you meet other eligibility requirements, you may borrow up to $20,500 per year in a combination of Subsidized and Unsubsidized Ford Federal Direct Loans. Other private loan programs are also available. Your total financial aid for one year may not exceed the established cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, books, and living expenses. International students who can obtain a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen may be able to receive education loans from private lenders. For information and applications, contact the WCL Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid & Other Information for International Students

In order to satisfy F-1 visa requirements, students must be registered for a minimum or eight credit hours per semester. Other visa statuses may have other requirements. Students who plan to take more than eight credit hours per semester can adjust their tuition rate accordingly.

    Because education in the United States is expensive, international students are encouraged to seek funding from sources in their home countries. For assistance in locating sponsoring organizations, contact the U.S. embassy, consulate, or information agency in your country. EducationUSA also provides an extensive listing of scholarshsips and grants directed towards international students.

    International students are encouraged to apply for the ILSP Scholarships.

    Students applying for F-1 or J-1 visas must show sufficient funds for educational and personal expenses for each year they plan to study in the U.S. before the university will issue the necessary immigration forms. F-1 or J- 1 visas holders are not eligible for employment. For complete information on regulations and exceptions, visit AU's Office of International Student & Scholar Services website, or contact them at:

    4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20016-8041
    Students must be able to meet the following costs as they apply to their particular situation.

    1. Travel expenses between home country and United States during vacation periods
    2. Large purchases (such as computers, furniture, etc.)
    3. Medical expenses not covered by the University health insurance (eye care, dental care, medical problems developed before arriving at the university.)

    If you intend to apply for an F-1 (student) visa, you will be required by a U.S. consular officer to present a Form I-20 and supporting financial documents to demonstrate your ability to meet financial obligations for the first year of your academic program. Financial documents, such as bank statements, scholarship letters and/or a U.S. Department of Justice form I-134 "Affidavit of Support" showing your total program cost ($58,844*) must be presented. Sponsors in the Washington, DC area who provide free room and board should use the corresponding figures above in determining their financial contributions to the student. In order to obtain a Form I-20 from American University, the university must first accept students. Students are encouraged to submit their CFIS and financial documents with their application to the LLM program. Failure to return the CFIS with the application will result in a delay in the issuance of the I-20.

    *Students applying for spring 2014 will be required to show $58,884 in order to obtain your I-20 from the University.

Note: All materials submitted to Washington College of Law become the property of Washington College of Law and cannot be returned.