1910, of December 18, 1974, denouncing the arbitrary arrest of a number of lawyers in the Republic of Argentina, whose names it lists, who were engaged in defending political prisoners.In a note of March 17, 1975, the Commission requested that the Government of Argentina provide the necessary information. A copy of that note was transmitted to the Mission of Argentina to the OAS on March 18, 1975. In a note of March 18, 1975, the Secretariat informed the claimant of the measures taken with regard to the denunciation..
The Mission of Argentina to the OAS, in a communication dated March 21, l975 (SG 103-7.2.50) acknowledged receipt of the Commission's note. The Government of Argentina has not sent the information requested.
The Commission examined this communication during the course of its thirty-fifth session (May 1975) and noted that the Government of Argentina had not yet replied to the request for information filed on March 17. It therefore decided:
- To reiterate to the Government its request for information and
- To send a note to the Federation of Bar Associations of the Republic of Argentina, requesting that it be so kind as to provide such information as it deems appropriate on the matters denounced.
Pursuant to point a note was sent to the government of Argentina on August 7, 1975, and a copy of that note was sent to the Argentine Mission to the OAS on August 18. As for point b, a note was sent to the Federation of Bar 88 Associations of the Republic of Argentina on August 26, 1975. On August 22, the claimant was informed of the measures taken with regard to the complaint.
The Commission continued its examination of this case at the Thirty-sixth session (October 1975), taking the following into account:
- The Government of Argentina had not provided the information requested on March 17 and August 7, 1975, and
- The Federation of Bar Associations, in a note of September 17, 1975, had replied to the note of August 26, providing, in summary, the following data:
- A number of years ago the Federation of Bar Associations, which includes 48 forensic institutions, formed the Committee for Defense of the Lawyer which actively serves on behalf of lawyers being held under the control of the National Executive Power, by virtue of state of siege and for events or acts related to professional practice;
- At present, according to the information provided by the Federation of Bar Associations, none of the individuals mentioned in the denunciation presented to the CIDH appeared on the list of lawyers being held. Attached to this reply, it sent a copy of the statement of the Federation of Bar Associations made on December 27, 1974, with regard to: "arrest of lawyers," in which it sets forth the major problems involved in defense of professional privilege. Having seen the status of the case, at its thirty-sixth sessions the Commission agreed to again reiterate to the Government of Argentina its request that it provide the corresponding information as soon aspossible..
Pursuant to this decision, a cable was sent to the Government of Argentina on October 22, 1975.