Dean Claudio Groassman
Acting Dean: 1993-1994
The following information relates to the School from 1993 to the present time.
Location of the Law School
December 1995: Move to 4801 Massachusetts Avenue; at 180,000 square feet, the building is 2 1/2 times as large as Myers Hall and provides unsurpassed technological features; Dedication, April 13, 1996.
Number of students
1995: Entering class nearly 60% women
Faculty & staff
1995: 45 full-time faculty; new Office of Financial Aid; public relations officer; assistant to the dean; business law director; 2 more faculty scholars created; Grants Office created; director, International Women and Law Program
Charter, incorporation, merger
1996: WCL financially self-responsible
1996: New law library covers 54,000 square feet with seating for 600+.
Special collections include European Union documents, Goodman Collection of Rare Books, Baxter Collection in International Law, and National Equal Justice Library.
1996: Journal of Gender and the Law increases publication to three books/year, with an addition of a volume of book reviews; newsletter: Business Law; Eco-News; Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
1992-95: U.S. News and World Report ranks WCL clinics third nationally;
Beginning of Law and Government Program, including summer program; International Women and Law Program; and the international programs: Paris Nanterre, Paris and Geneva (summer), Hong Kong
Favorable report from visit, spring 1995
Tuition & Miscellaneous
1995: Tuition $19,550, full-time; $725/credit, part-time
Groups & Organizations
1995: Business Law Society; Association of Alumni in Environmental Law
- Timeline Brochure: Washington College of Law in Celebration of its Centennial: Facts and Events 1896-1996. Compiled by Karen Monroe, '82; Audrey Pia, '84; Di Horvath '86; Lisa Longo, '88; Susan Notar, '90; Melissa McGill, '94; Lycia Watts, '96; under directio of Dr. Paul Purta, Consultant and former Associate Dean for Institutional Advancement.
- Back -