20th Annual Hispanic Law Conference
Adelante: Celebrating the Perseverance and Progress of the Latino/a Community
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
2:00 PM - 10:00 PM
American University Washington College of Law
4300 Nebraska Avenue, NW, Washington, DC
Yuma Building - Terrace Level - Claudio Grossman Hall, Room YT01
American University Washington College of Law is honored to host the Annual Hispanic Law Conference each spring as part of its Founders' Celebration. Started in 1997, this regional conference brings together a unique mix of leaders devoted to the progress of Latinos/as in the United States, including the WCL Latino community, and abroad.
Schedule of Events
Career Fair and Networking Event sponsored by HBA-DC
2:00 PM - 4:30 PM in Claudio Grossman Hall, YT01-01
To participate in the Career Fair as an employer or attorney/law student, visit http://www.hbadc.org/
Participating employers include Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP; Ayuda; Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; BuckleySandler LLP; CASA; Children’s Law Center; Covington & Burling LLP; Federal Communications Commission; Financial Crimes Enforcement Network; Financial Industry Regulatory Authority; Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia; McDermott Will & Emery LLP; National Legal Aid & Defender Association; Perkins Coie LLP; Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia; Sidley Austin LLP; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP; Tahirih Justice Center; U.S. Air Force JAG Corps; U.S. Army JAG Corps; U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia; U.S. Department of Energy; U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management, and Tax Division; U.S. Department of the Treasury; U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; U.S. Government Accountability Office; U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission; Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs; White & Case LLP; Wiley Rein LLP; and Winston & Strawn LLP.
LAAW Annual Meeting and Elections
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM in Room NT07, Terrace Level, Warren Building
- To seek a position on the LAAW Board of Directors, visit https://www.wcl.american.edu/alumni/affinity.cfm
Family, Finances, and Fear: What Motivates Latino/a Civic and Political Participation?
6:00 PM-7:00 PM in Room NT08, Terrace Level, Warren Building. To join the conversation, you can attend in person or online (link forthcoming).
To join the conversation, you can attend in person or online.
Live webcast available
- Moderator: Gabriela Baca '13, Associate, White & Case and Co-Chair, Latino/a Alumni Association of the Washington College of Law (LAAW)
- Marla Bilonick, Executive Director, Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC)
- Pedro Pavón, CIPP/US, Senior Corporate Counsel, Oracle Corporation
- Thomas A. Saenz, President and General Counsel, Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF)
HLC Awards Dinner
7:30 PM - 9:30 PM in Claudio Grossman Hall YT01-02
- Masters of Ceremony: Leila Jade Levi '10, Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Miguel Angel Martinez '06, Principal, Martínez Global Strategies
- Alumni Keynote Speaker: Jane Sánchez '89, Law Librarian of Congress
- Award Recipients:
- Premio Inspiración: Robert Martinez ’17, Juris Doctor Candidate
- Goldman-Grossman Award: Patricia Quijano Vallejos ’17, LLM Candidate
- Edward Bou Alumni Award: Jane Garrido ’07, Senior Attorney, U.S. Department of Labor
- Diversity Award: Mayda Colon Tsaknis, Founder of the Maryland Hispanic Bar Association (MHBA)
- LaLSA High School Scholarships: Gabriela Brito ‘17
- LAAW Bar Review Award: Deyssy Mosso ‘17, César E. Chávez Public Charter Schools for Public Policy - Capitol Hill Campus, and Helen Fernandez ‘17, Gaithersburg High School