Contact us about...
Grant Post-Award Administration
For information on American University policies, procedures & guidelines; accounts payable, general accounting and procurement and contract forms; and other essential information, please visit the appropriate office or resource site:
- Staff Directory
- Mileage Rates - IRS
- Per Diem Rates - Federal Government Site (AU reimburses for actual, documented expenses unless a Per Diem has been prior approved in advance of travel by the WCL Office of Finance and Administration).
- Tax Exempt Certificates
- W-9 Form & Instructions (PDF)
- Travel Policy (PDF)
- Travel Services
- Disbursements vs. Purchase Orders
AU Grants and Contracts Accounting (financial management for post-award administration)
- NICRA (Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement) HHS Agreement
- Object Codes
- Fiscal Year Monthly Closing Schedule
AU Office of Sponsored Programs (non-financial management for post-award administration)
- Consultant Agreement Template
- Consultants & Subcontractors
- Contract Closeout
- Financial Administration
- Grant Award and Acceptance FAQs
- Grant Management FAQs
- Grant Modifications
- Intellectual Property Compliance
- Links to Sponsor Websites
- No Cost Extension Form
- Online Funding Resources
- Proposal Development
- Proposal Routing & Submission
- Staff Responsibilities
- Subcontractors vs. Consultants
- Subcontract Request Form
- Technical & Financial Reports
- Compensation and Payroll Procedures
- Photocopying Costs
In order to use photocopy machines all users are required to enter an AU ID. Faculty and Administrative Support Services will provide usage reports to staff to verify the applicable charges. Allocable grant expenses must be charged to the grant account by JE within 60 days from receipt of your usage statement. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Journal Entries (JEs)
Journal Entries (JE) should be used to transfer cost between different budget accounts when an expense was not directly charged to the appropriate grant account because it is a cost invoiced to the project by the University (e.g. photocopying, printing and postage), was shared across multiple accounts, or an entry mistake was made. All Journal Entries must include a brief explanation in the comment field of the JE Template (MS Excel File) describing the expense and justification for reallocation. The form must be submitted with documentation of the expenses (receipts, invoices, etc.) to be transferred. Requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Information Technology
- Technical Training Opportunities
- BI Tool Training and Support:
This web-based tool uses the same data as used by Datatel, is fairly easy to use and useful for exporting data into Excel. Additionally, a number of pre-formatted reports have been created that provide a user-friendly interface readily available as a .pdf document. Especially useful is the ability to sort data multiple ways and quickly drill down from the expense summary (XEX2) to the details of a single object code (XEX1). It also provides access to specific transactions using a customized grant period (XGAR).
- Datatel Training and Support
- Click here to access the Datatel Software.
- XGAR – G/L Detail Activity Report
- This report shows all activity for all object codes for a given date range (within one fiscal year).
- The XGAR screen in datatel is a useful tool for tracking your individual grant expenditures.
- It is a good idea to run your grant XGAR screen periodically to ensure that all purchases are "hitting the books."
- XEX screens are used to check budget vs. expenditures on grant accounts.
- XEX1 - provides detail of expenses for one object code for a particular grant account
- XEX2 - provides totals by object code for one grant account
- XEX3 – provides current fiscal year vs. inception-to-date totals by object code for multi-year grant accounts .