Supplemental Loans

Grad PLUS Loans

The federal Grad PLUS loan is the primary funding source for WCL students seeking supplemental assistance, i.e. funds to meet Cost of Attendance (COA) expenses not covered by Stafford loans or other financial aid. Grad PLUS is funded by the Department of Education through the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program (DL) and is available to borrowers meeting DOE credit criteria. Grad PLUS is not automatically included in the financial aid package; you must apply for assistance by completing a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Application. The application is filed online at

Private Loans

Borrowers ineligible for Grad PLUS may consider alternative (private) credit-based loans. While a limited number of lenders continue to offer private loans, recently enacted legislation has changed the process by which funding is secured. In addition to new applicant certification requirements, lenders must now provide borrowers with a series of disclosure statements and offer a mandated rescission period before a loan can be finalized and disbursed. To borrow private funds you must complete a Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form and submit it to your lender. The form may be provided with your loan application. It is also available online at Private loan borrowers should note that additional processing time is required. Allow a minimum of six weeks for funds to arrive.

Additional Information

International Students - Loans are available through a limited number of lenders with programs for international students. A qualified co-borrower is required.


ADVISORY - Select your lender with care. Loan certification is limited to one lender per loan period.

APPLICATION DEADLINE - July 1 for all students. On time filing ensures priority processing and timely receipt of funds.

LATE FILING - Delays funds. Applications are certified in the order received or as released for processing by the lender.

DISBURSEMENTS - DL Stafford and Grad PLUS loan proceeds are disbursed directly to your student account. Private loan funds are issued by check and are posted by the University Cashier upon receipt. Refunds are issued by the Office of Student Accounts.