Office: Room Y360R
Chiara Pappalardo is a senior attorney, licensed in Italy and trained in the United States, with over six year of litigation and transactional experience involving civil, commercial, corporate and private international law matters.
Prior to her bar admission, Ms. Pappalardo spent over a year working on policy, legislative and enforcement issues related to the protection of the cultural heritage and the landscape in the General Counsel's office of the Italian Ministry of Cultural Goods and Activities in Rome.
She developed an interest in the energy sector and environmental law during her time as foreign associate in the corporate and securities law practice of Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. in Washington, D.C. where she assisted in the financing of solar and wind renewable energy projects with federal and state incentive programs. Ms. Pappalardo also worked as legal counsel for an energy services company based in Rome, and an Italian multinational manufacturing company headquartered in Maryland where she oversaw regulatory compliance with federal and state pollution control laws. She also served as of counsel for the Environmental Law Institute where she assisted with a project involving the implementation of the human right to water in Mexico.
Ms. Pappalardo is currently an international and comparative legal scholar engaged in research on European Union environmental and energy governance regimes, with particular focus on comparing EU and US laws. Her research focuses on sustainable energy and new regulatory models for distributed energy generation and water supplies.
She is also a member of the Legal Aspects of Sustainable Energy for All Community of Practice, a leading forum of researchers, practitioners and policy-makers created to support the United Nation’s broader SE4All initiative, hosted by the Global Forum on Law, Justice and Development’s Thematic Working Group on Environmental and Natural Resources Law at the World Bank.
Ms. Pappalardo received in 2011 the Outstanding Pro Bono Award for her work on Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill from the George Washington University Law School. Her essay on A Vision for the Decade Sustainable Energy for All (2014 – 2024) was selected among the top finalists of the 2013 Global Energy Essay Contest.
She is fluent in Italian, Spanish, French, and English and has working knowledge of Portuguese.
Degrees & Universities
- LL.M., George Washington University Law School (in Energy and Environmental Law)
- M.P.P., University of Tor Vergata (Italy) (with focus on the Cultural Heritage)
- LL.B., University of Rome La Sapienza (Italy)
- Jessica Wentz & Chiara Pappalardo, Scaling Up Local Solutions, Creating an Enabling Legal Environment for the Deployment of Community-Based Renewable Microgrids, in Energy, Governance and Sustainable (Jordi J. i Manzano et al. eds., Edward Elgar 2016).
- Chiara Pappalardo, A Vision for the Decade of Sustainable Energy for All (2014-2024): An Effective Global Governance. Recommendations for U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon for the Implementation of the Sustainable Energy for All Agenda, Global Energy Initiative (Nov. 2013).
- Chiara Pappalardo, Presentation, The Green Giant: Europe’s Different Strategies of External Environmental Governance. Does the EU Risk to be Perceived as an Anti-Hero? (American University, School of International Service, D.C., June 10 -13, 2015).
- Chiara Pappalardo, Organizer & Co-Moderator, Amanda Knox: A Comparative Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Panel Discussion (American University Washington College of Law, D.C., 2015).
- Chiara Pappalardo & Jessica Wentz, Co-presenter, Scaling-Up Local Solutions, Creating an Enabling Legal Environment for the Deployment of Community-Based Renewable Microgrids (12TH IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Annual Colloquium, Tarragona, Spain, June 30 - July 5, 2014).
- Chiara Pappalardo, Presentation, Accesibilidad Économica (asequibilidad) del Agua: Buenas Prácticas en el Derecho Comparado (Taller Sobre la Implementación del Derecho Humano al Agua: Retos y Estrategias en el Ámbito Municipal, Xalapa, Mex., May 7 - 9, 2014).
- Chiara Pappalardo, Presentation, UN SE4All: A Preliminary Assessment of the Goal of Universal Access to Energy by 2030 (Law, Justice and Development Week, World Bank, D.C., Nov. 18 - 22, 2013).