Associate Law Librarian
Office: Room N100A2
Sima Mirkin became a catalog librarian at the WCL Library in March, 2004. Previously, she worked in area academic law libraries including George Washington, Catholic and Georgetown Universities since 1991, and has experience in all facets of the technical services operations. At the Pence Law Library Ms. Mirkin is heavily involved in the implementation and configuration of the new information technology library systems such as THE Electronic Resource Management module and Content Access Service; WebBridge LR, OpenURL link resolver; WebBridge Pathfinder Pro, a Smart Linking™ technology tool. Ms. Mirkin is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries and the Law Librarians' Society of the District of Columbia. In 2007 she was elected to the office of Secretary/Treasurer of the AALL Technical Services Special Interest Section Executive Board and served in this position for two years
There are no classes currently associated with this professor.
Degrees & Universities
- B.Engr.Econ., Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute, Republic of Belarus
- M.L.S., University of Maryland
- Sima Mirkin, Extending and Customizing Content Discovery for the Legal Academic Community with III’s Pathfinder Pro: The Pence Law Library Approach, 13 Leg. Ref. Servs. Q. 110 (2013).
- Sima Mirkin & Michael J. Petit, The Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition: Subject Indexes & Finding Aids (Wm. S. Hein & Co. 2010).
- Sima Mirkin, The TOC Market Report: Undervalued TOCs Yield Huge Dividends - 2009, 35 Tech. Serv. L. Lib. 45 (Summer 2009).
- Sima Mirkin, Billie Jo Kaufman & Michael J. Petit, Pence Law Library Electronic Resource Module Implementation Tale, 52 L.Lib. Lights 27 (Spring/Summer 2009) (reprinted in 35 Tech. Serv. L. Lib. 25 (Dec. 2009)).
- Sima Mirkin & Michel J. Petit, Making the Catalog a Better Tool: Using 970 Fields for Describing Hierarchical Databases, 34 Tech. Serv. L. Lib 2 (Dec. 2008) (reprinted in 52 L.Lib. Lights 13 (Winter 2009)).
- Specifics of the CALI Lessons Cataloging: Records’ Structure and Special Fields Used for retrieval purposes (CALI 2007) (Webcast).