Fellow in Law and Government
Office: Room 515D
Dan Marcus joined the faculty of WCL in 2004. Previously, he was General Counsel of the 9-11 Commission. He was for many years a partner in the Washington law firm of Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering. During the Carter Administration he was Deputy General Counsel of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and General Counsel of the Department of Agriculture. He returned to Government service in 1998 as Senior Counsel in the White House Counsel's office. From 1999 to 2001 he held several senior positions at the Department of Justice, including Associate Attorney General. He has also been a Visiting Professor at Georgetown University Law Center. He was a law clerk for Judge Harold Leventhal of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
There are no classes currently associated with this professor.
Areas of Specialization
- International Commercial Arbitation
- First Amendment
- National Security Law
Degrees & Universities
- B.A., Brandeis University
- LL.B., Yale Law School
- Daniel Marcus, OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard, in The Environmental Law Manual (ABA 1992).
- Daniel Marcus, OSHA’s Expanding Hazard Communication Requirements, 4 Nat. Res. & Env. 19 (1990).
- Daniel Marcus, Soviet Pipeline Sanctions: The President's Authority to Impose Extraterritorial Controls,, 15 L. & Policy Intl. Bus. 1163 (1983).
- Daniel Marcus, The New FDA Hearing Regulations - An Analysis, 29 Food, Drug, Cosmetic L.J. 336 (1974).
- Daniel Marcus, Ford v. Ford: Full Faith & Credit for Child Custody Decrees (note), 73 Yale L.J. 134 (1963).
- Daniel Marcus, Speech, 9/11 Commission and Executive Privilege (Department of Justice, Wash., D.C., Jan. 12, 2006).
- Daniel Marcus, Presentation, ADR and the Federal Government: Not Such Strange Bedfellows After All (Earl F. Nelson Memorial Lecture, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Mo., Nov. 9, 2000) (reprinted in 66 Mo. L. Rev. 709 (2001), with Jeffrey Senger).
Selected Media Appearances
- Radio Times, "The Challenges for the Next Attorney General" (WHYY Radio/NPR Sirius Radio Sept., 20 2007) (Radio Interview).
- USA Today, "Gonzales' Successor To Inherit a Fractured Agency" (USA Today Aug. 29, 2007) (Newspaper Interview).
- New York Times, "Gonzales, Loyal to Bush, Was Firm on War Policies" (N.Y. Times Aug. 27, 2007) (Newspaper Interview).
- Dissecting The Decision: The Libby Sentencing, "NBC Local News" (WRC-TV July 2, 2007) (Televesion).
- Discussion on 9/11 Commission Report, Nightline (ABC-TV Sept. 10, 2006) (Television Interview).
- Wiretapping and Government Surveillance (WTTG Fox 5 Feb. 6, 2006) (Television Interview).