Office: Room Y300
Dr. Nicholas Kittrie, distinguished University Professor of Law, has served as counsel to the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, and is an expert in American and international public and criminal law. Past president of the American Society of Criminology, former dean of the Washington College of Law, and chair of the United Nations Alliance of NGOs on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, Kittrie is the author and editor of over fifteen books and numerous articles. He frequently appears in mass media to deal with topics such as political offenders, terrorist activities, war crimes, drugs and alcohol, extradition, penology and criminal sentencing. Educated at the London School of Economics (U.K.), the University of Cairo (Egypt) and the Universities of Kansas, Chicago and Georgetown (USA), Dr. Kittrie is fluent in several languages. He has traveled extensively and has lectured at universities and congresses in Europe, Asia and Africa. Kittrie has served as legal consultant to several foreign governments and to the United States Vice-President’s Commission on Terrorism. Among Kittrie’s books are Rebels With A Cause: The Minds and Morality of Political Offenders; The Tree of Liberty: A Documentary History of Rebellion and Political Crime in America; The War Against Authority: From the Crisis of Legitimacy to a New Social Contract; The Right to Be Different: Deviance and Enforced Therapy; Crimes and Punishments: International Criminal Law and Procedure; The Future of Peace in the Twenty-First Century, and The Laws of War and the Laws of Peace.
There are no classes currently associated with this professor.
Areas of Specialization
- Counterterrorism Law
- Criminal Procedure
- International Criminal Law
- Minority Groups
- Sentencing Law
- Criminal Law
Degrees & Universities
- S.J.D., Georgetown University Law Center 1968
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center 1963
- FLW, Visiting Fellow, Yale University Law School 1957
- M.A., University of Kansas 1951
- LL.B., University of Kansas, School of Law 1950
- A.B., University of Kansas 1947
- E.C., External Certificates: Universities of Cairo, Jerusalem and London (1946-47)
- FLW, Raymond Fellow, University of Chicago (1953-54)
- Nicholas Kittrie, The War Against Authority: From the Crisis of Legitimacy to a New Social Order (Johns Hopkins U. Press 1998).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Right to Be Different: Deviance and Enforced Therapy (Johns Hopkins U. Press 1972).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Stone Upon Stone: The Expansion of a Mission, 45 Am. U. L. Rev. (1996).
- Nicholas Kittrie, La Ricerca Della Legittimita Politica, in Criminologica Psichiatria Forense e Psicologia Giudiziara (Antonio Delfino, 1996).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Democracy: An Institution Whose Time Has Come?, in Criminal Science in a Global Society (Wise, ed., Fred B. Rothman & Co. 1994).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Task Ahead: Making the Constitution Work for Pluralism, 8 Am. U. J. L. & Policy (1992/1993).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Responsibility for Education: A Social, Religious and Economic Partnership, in At the Crossroads: Education in the Middle East (Badran, Paragon House 1989).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Introductory Comments, in Food Production and Agriculture in Africa (Adjangba, PWPA Books 1988).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Reform, Disorder, or Revolution: An American Looks at South Africa, in South Africa: Reform or Revolution (Wainwright, PWPA Books 1988).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The New Constitution of Haiti, in Washington Institute Monograph ( 1987).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Criminal Procedure, in Encyclopedia of the American Judicial System (Janosik, ed., Charles Scribner's Sons 1986).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Uneasy Alliance: Law and Psychiatry in America, in International Survey on the Role of Psychiatry in the Administration of Criminal Justice (Max Planck Inst. 1985).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Patriots and Terrorists: Reconciling Human Rights with World Order, 2 Case W. Res. L. Rev. 291 (1981).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Ransom Kidnapping in America, 71 J. Crim. L. & Criminology 654 (1980).
- Nicholas Kittrie, From Psychopathic Delinquents to Career Criminals: Policy and Program Implications, in Lo Psicopatico Delinquente (Giuffre, ed., 1980).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Dangers of the New Directions on American Sentencing, in New Directions in Sentencing (Grossman, ed., Butterworths 1980).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Introduction, in Therapy and Ethics: The Courtship of Law and Psychology (Finkel, ed., Grune & Stratton 1980).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Prediction of Dangerousness: The Experts, the Courts and the Criminal Justice System, in Mentally Ill Offenders and the Criminal Justice System (Berran & Roomey, eds., Praeger Press 1979).
- Nicholas Kittrie, New Look at Political Crime and Terrorism, in International Terrorism in the Contemporary World (Livingston, ed., Greenwood Press 1978).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Reconciling the Irreconcilable: The Quest for International Agreement Over Political Crime and Terrorism, 32 Y.B. for World Affairs 208 (1978).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Sex, Crime and the Law, 4 L. & Pscyh. Rev. 207 (1978).
- Nicholas Kittrie, In Search of Political Crime and Political Criminals, 50 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 202 (1975).
- Nicholas Kittrie, History of Drug Control Laws: American Aspects, 6 John Marshall L. J. 46 (1975).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Flowering and Decline of the Therapeutic State, in Medical, Moral and Legal Issues in Mental Health Care (Ayd, ed., Williams & Wilkins 1974).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Contemporary Problems of Drug Abuse, 18 Vill. L. Rev. 868 (1973).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Responsibility and the Therapeutic State, 19 Wayne L. Rev. 873 (1973).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Terrorism and Political Crimes, 67 Am. J. Intl. L. 104 (1973).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Juvenile Drug Offender and the Justice System, in National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse (U.S. Govt. Printing Off. 1972).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Will the XYY Syndrome Abolish Guilt?, 35 Fed. Probation 26 (June 1971).
- Nicholas Kittrie, In Place of Big Sticks, 31 New Middle East 14 (1971).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Marijuana: The Right to Truth, 23 S.C. L. Rev 361 (1971).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Can the Right to Treatment Remedy the Ills of the Juvenile Process?, 57 Geo. L. J. 848 (1969).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Mens Rea in the United States, 4 Proceedings Intl. Symposium on Comp. L. 57 (1967).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Divestment of Criminal Law and the Therapeutic State, Suffolk U. L. Rev 1 43 (1967).
- Nicholas Kittrie, A Post Mortem of the Eichmann Case - The Lessons for International Law, 55 J. Crim. L. & Political Sci. 16 (1964).
- Nicholas Kittrie, United States Regulation of Foreign Airlines Competition, 29 J. Air L. & . Com. 1 (1963).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Compulsive Mental Treatment and 'Due Process', 12 Ohio St. L. J. 28 (1960).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Mental Disability Law - A New Legal Frontier, 3 Student Law. 5 (1958).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The Minister and Mental Illness Law, 8 Pastoral Psychol. 39 (1958).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Justice for the Mentally Ill, 41 Am. Jud. Socy. 46 (1957).
- Nicholas Kittrie, The United States and Trends in the Middle East, Upstream (May 1954).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Conference, Role of the NGOs in Reforming the United Nations Organization (Mexico, Jan. 1, 2006).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Keynote Address, Hate Literature and Media -- How to Protect the Future Generation from That Evil? (Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep., Dec. 1, 2005).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Presentation, Reception to Honor H.E. Massoud Barzani (Washington, D.C., Dec. 1, 2005).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Conference, Historical Foundations of the Therapeutic Approach to Deviance (Brockport Conference, February 1972).
- Nicholas Kittrie, Presentation, Aggressive Uses of Space Vehicles--The Remedies in International Law (Washington, DC, October 3, 1961).