Carter Eltzroth is Adjunct Professor of Law at the Washington College of Law, American University. He is also Legal Director of the DVB Project. DVB is the Geneva-based standards forum creating technical standards – implemented worldwide – for digital television. In private practice, he specialises in legal issues related to standardization and standardized technologies; broadcast and telecommunications regulation; and intellectual property. Among other client-related activities, he has assisted IEEE in its initiatives on patent pools and other clients in patent management strategies in East and South Asia. He has served as the chair of a task force within the Smart Grid Interoperability Panel examining its IPR policy. He is an arbitrator for the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and a member of the IPR Policy Committee of the American National Standards Institute.
Professor Eltzroth has written and spoken extensively on IPRs and other issues relating to standards setting. He is preparing Patent Pools: Licensing Standardized Technology (Oxford, forthcoming).
Professor Eltzroth has also been active on copyright matters, having formed the antipiracy association, Association Européenne pour la Protection des Oeuvres et services Cryptés, and served as its initial Executive Director. He has prepared studies on audiovisual copyright and related areas for the World Intellectual Property Organization, the World Bank and the European Commission. He has also been general counsel and served in other capacities as a lawyer for European and African broadcasters. After law school, he clerked for Judge Walter Cummings on the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Chicago). A dual US/Belgian national, he is a graduate of Oxford (MA in literae humaniores) and Columbia (JD), where he was an International Fellow, and a member of the New York bar.
There are no classes currently associated with this professor.
Areas of Specialization
- Antitrust and Economic Regulation
- Intellectual Property
- International Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law
- M.A., Oxford University
- bac. ès phil, Collège Stanislas (Paris)
- Carter Eltzroth, 'Umbrella' Standards Bodies: Framing Their IPR Policies, in Landslide (ABA forthcoming Summer 2013). SSRN Link
- Carter Eltzroth, IPR Policy of the DVB Project, Part II, 7 Intl. J. of IT Stands. & Standardization Research 1 (2009). SSRN Link
- Carter Eltzroth, IPR Policy of the DVB Project, Part I, 6 Intl. J. of IT Stands. & Standardization Research 21 (2008). SSRN Link
- Carter Eltzroth, Indian Broadcasting, Technologies and the Copyright Industries, Geo. Wash. L. Sch. (2008). SSRN Link
- Carter Eltzroth, Broadcasting in Developing Countries: Elements of a Conceptual Framework for Reform, 3 Info. Tech. & Intl. Dev. 19 (Fall. 2006).
- Carter Eltzroth & Charles Kenny, Broadcasting and Development, Options for the World Bank, World Bank Working Paper No. 11 (2003).