Associate Director, Stephen S. Weinstein Trial Advocacy Program
Office: Room C111
Professor Boals began as the Assistant Director of the Trial Advocacy Program in 2005 and became the Program’s Associate Director in 2009. Her areas of specialization include: Criminal and Civil Trial Advocacy, Criminal Law and Procedure, and Evidence. Professor Boals is a recipient of the Washington College of Law (WCL) Faculty Leadership Award and is a member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) faculty. She is an author of several books and teaching case files, and lectures frequently both domestically and abroad on expert witness testimony and other trial practice related issues. Before joining the faculty at WCL, Professor Boals defended the U.S. Department of Commerce on alleged violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act. She was a partner at Lay, Ippolito & Dillard, PLLC, and prior to that, an attorney at Zwerdling, Paul, Leibig, Kahn, Thompson & Wolly, P.C. where she served as counsel to the International Union of Police Associations. Professor Boals began her legal career as an assistant public defender in the Office of the Public Defender in Alexandria, Virginia defending a felony caseload consisting of clients in all stages of the criminal justice system from pretrial through appeal before the Virginia Court of Appeals.
Areas of Specialization
- Criminal Law
- Trial Advocacy
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law
- B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Elizabeth Boals, State v. Sanchez: Case File and Teaching Manual (2d ed., NITA 2015).
- Elizabeth Boals & Steve Lubet, Expert Testimony: A Guide for Expert Witnesses and the Lawyers Who Examine Them (3d ed., NITA 2014).
- Elizabeth Boals, Addison v. Peyton: Case File and Teaching Guide, NITA (2012).
- Elizabeth Boals, State v. Peyton: Case File and Teaching Guide (NITA 2010).
- David Aaronson, Elizabeth I. Boals & Anthony C. Morella, Reflections: The Honorable Irma S. Raker – Judge, Teacher and Role Model, 57 Am. U. L. Rev. 1563 (2008).
- Elizabeth Boals, Faculty, Annual Georgetown CLE/NITA Intensive Session in Trial Advocacy Skills (D.C., June 2006 - Present).
- Elizabeth Boals, Presenter, Educating Advocates Conference (Stetson University College of Law, Gulfport, Fla., 2015 & 2016).
- Elizabeth Boals, Lecturer, Criminal Law & Procedure (Kaplan Bar Review, 2009 - Present, annually).
- Elizabeth Boals, Lecturer, Scientific Evidence and Expert Testimony Conference (Santiago, Chile, July 2014 & 2015).
- Elizabeth Boals, Lecturer, SEAK 21st Annual National Expert Witness Conference (Cape Cod, Mass., Aug. 2012).
Selected Media Appearances
- emol.Nacional (Chilean News Website), "Experta de EE.UU. entrega 10 claves para evitar que testigos manden a la carcel a un inocente" (Empresa El Mercurio S.A.P. July 26, 2015) (Interview).
- FOX Morning News, "The Jena 6" (WTTG-FOX Sept. 25, 2007) (Television Interview).
- Russia Today, "People v. Hans Reiser" (TV-Novosti June 11, 2007) (Television Interview).