Associate Director, Stephen S. Weinstein Trial Advocacy Program
Office: Room C111
Elizabeth Boals began as the Assistant Director of the Trial Advocacy Program in 2005 and became the Program’s Associate Director in 2009. Her areas of specialization include: Criminal and Civil Trial Advocacy, Criminal Law and Procedure, and Evidence. Before joining the faculty at WCL, Professor Boals defended the U.S. Department of Commerce on alleged violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Rehabilitation Act. She was a partner at Lay, Ippolito & Dillard, PLLC, and prior to that, an attorney at Zwerdling, Paul, Leibig, Kahn, Thompson & Wolly, P.C. She began her legal career as an assistant public defender in the Office of the Public Defender in Alexandria, Virginia. Professor Boals is a National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) author and has lectured at Maryland and Virginia Coalitions of Police Conferences; Virginia Public Defenders’ Boot Camp for New Lawyers, SEAK National Expert Witness Conference, and Scientific Evidence and Expert Testimony Conference in Santiago, Chile.
Areas of Specialization
- Criminal Law
- Trial Advocacy
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law
- B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Elizabeth Boals, State v. Sanchez: Case File and Teaching Manual (2d ed., NITA 2015).
- Elizabeth Boals & Steve Lubet, Expert Testimony: A Guide for Expert Witnesses and the Lawyers Who Examine Them (3d ed., NITA 2014).
- Elizabeth Boals, Addison v. Peyton: Case File and Teaching Guide, NITA (2012).
- Elizabeth Boals, State v. Peyton: Case File and Teaching Guide (NITA 2010).
- David Aaronson, Elizabeth I. Boals & Anthony C. Morella, Reflections: The Honorable Irma S. Raker – Judge, Teacher and Role Model, 57 Am. U. L. Rev. 1563 (2008).
- Elizabeth Boals, Faculty, Annual Georgetown CLE/NITA Intensive Session in Trial Advocacy Skills (D.C., June 2006 - Present).
- Elizabeth Boals, Lecturer, Scientific Evidence and Expert Testimony Conference (Santiago, Chile, July 2015).
- Elizabeth Boals, Lecturer, SEAK 21st Annual National Expert Witness Conference (Cape Cod, Mass., Aug. 2012).
- Elizabeth Boals, Panelist, Trends in Criminal Law (American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Mar. 2006).
- Elizabeth Boals, Presentation, Virginia Coalition of Police Conference (Virginia Beach, Va., May 2001).
- Elizabeth Boals, Presentation, Maryland Coalition of Police Conference (Kent Narrows, Md., July 2000 & June 2001).
- Elizabeth Boals, Organizer & Presenter, Boot Camp For New Lawyers CLE (Fairfax, Va., May 1998 - June 2000).
Selected Media Appearances
- emol.Nacional (Chilean News Website), "Experta de EE.UU. entrega 10 claves para evitar que testigos manden a la carcel a un inocente" (Empresa El Mercurio S.A.P. July 26, 2015) (Interview).
- FOX Morning News, "The Jena 6" (WTTG-FOX Sept. 25, 2007) (Television Interview).
- Russia Today, "People v. Hans Reiser" (TV-Novosti June 11, 2007) (Television Interview).